Control logix Ethernet/IP Module

ceilingwalker

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello all. I have a CNG system that uses a Control Logix PLC, Logix5561 CPU. My question is a module on the very end of the chassis. I am not able to get any information off of it other than the very front. It only has "Ethernet IP" on the front of it. I attached an image of it although I realize it probably won't help a whole lot. If I understand the document online for it, it appears to be a module for communicating messages, and not much else, if I am reading it correctly. It isn't a place that I could go online with the CPU or anything like that, right? Thanks

Ethernet IP.jpg

Yes, you can use it to go online with the controller. Set your computer up with to be on the same IP network, guessing that it probably has a 255.255.255.0 subnet mask, set it up in RSLinx, and browse for it.

I think that the IP address scrolls on the display

Probably one of
1756-ENTB
1756-ENT
1756-EN2T

Yes Sir, it does scroll the address, at least that is what I thought it was displaying. Not knowing much about the Control Logix just wanted to make sure, before I dive into it.

It's a 1756-ENBT module, for Ethernet communications with the control system.

They can be used for going online with RSLogix, or for communicating to HMI or SCADA systems, or for bridging to I/O networks.

They also have a built-in webserver; you can learn a lot about the module and the chassis just by pointing a Web browser at that IP address.

The first software tool you'll need to configure to connect to it is good old RSLinx Classic. You can use either the old "Ethernet devices" driver or the modern EtherNet/IP driver.

Don't feel bad, I had to figure out how to configure one of these just the other day. Connect to the ip it displays with a web browser. if there is nothing plugged into this module, control logix cards are also hot-swapable.

You can pull the card out, write down the revision and catalog number and put it back. then just pull up a manual for it.

You shouldn’t need to pull the card out to get the information needed. Simply log on to it via a web browser and you should get all of the info (revision, catalog number, etc…)

It's a 1756-ENBT module, for Ethernet communications with the control system.

They can be used for going online with RSLogix, or for communicating to HMI or SCADA systems, or for bridging to I/O networks.

They also have a built-in webserver; you can learn a lot about the module and the chassis just by pointing a Web browser at that IP address.

The first software tool you'll need to configure to connect to it is good old RSLinx Classic. You can use either the old "Ethernet devices" driver or the modern EtherNet/IP driver.

I does scroll the IP address across the front. It runs from this module straight to an AB Panel View Plus 400. Any reason why a network switch couldn't be used and plug both my laptop as well as the Panel View in? It is on a functioning unit and if I cause it to go silent, there's going to be a lot of noise from folks yelling. ;)

I would be careful, if you don't know that the system can tolerate loss of the HMI device.

An Ethernet module is an expensive way to connect to a tiny PanelView, and virtually all systems include an Ethernet switch for online monitoring. The fact that the ENBT is connected to the PanelView directly suggests to me that it was done intentionally.

So if this system is specifically built to NOT be messed with.... don't mess with it until you know how it will react.

I would be careful, if you don't know that the system can tolerate loss of the HMI device.

An Ethernet module is an expensive way to connect to a tiny PanelView, and virtually all systems include an Ethernet switch for online monitoring. The fact that the ENBT is connected to the PanelView directly suggests to me that it was done intentionally.

So if this system is specifically built to NOT be messed with.... don't mess with it until you know how it will react.

+1 on that comment, but that goes for any system, not just this one.

If the ENBT module and the HMI are connected directly, then I believe that CAT5 cable will be a "crossover" cable - I don't think either end is auto-sensing on Rx/Tx.

Having said that, most modern switches are, but not all...You may be able to retain the existing cable, or not.

Just a gotcha that can getcha !

.... don't mess with it until you know how it will react.

A few years ago I was brought in to troubleshoot a burner management system that ran on a PLC-5 Classic controller. I don't remember for sure what I wanted to edit, but I know I had to turn the PLC-5 into Remote RUN mode. I was the hot-shot factory guy, so I just connected up with a 1784-PCMK and flipped that keyswitch over to the center position.

KLAXON ! SIREN ! STROBE ! VENT ! DUMP !

That's the day I learned that burner control guys write the keyswitch position status bits into their emergency shutdown code.

A few years ago I was brought in to troubleshoot a burner management system that ran on a PLC-5 Classic controller. I don't remember for sure what I wanted to edit, but I know I had to turn the PLC-5 into Remote RUN mode. I was the hot-shot factory guy, so I just connected up with a 1784-PCMK and flipped that keyswitch over to the center position.

KLAXON ! SIREN ! STROBE ! VENT ! DUMP !

That's the day I learned that burner control guys write the keyswitch position status bits into their emergency shutdown code.

Put it down to bad management, they called you in to make changes, and they obviously didn't understand what they had...

Why should you have to inspect their set-up ?

Having said that - I would always ask the question "Can I put this into REM mode so I can make the changes you've asked for ?" - then you can blame the shutdown on someone else, lol

The burner management system had been done by my company, fifteen years prior. So in the customer's mind, they were "calling the original builder". If I'd read every rung of the program, I might have caught that feature.

But as it was, they just wanted to troubleshoot the problem, so I treated it like a troubleshooting project.

My point is really that any system with a heavy load or high pressure or a stored product that can level a small city should get either extreme degrees of care or an appropriately informed expert.