Control logix Ethernet/IP Module

I would be careful, if you don't know that the system can tolerate loss of the HMI device.

An Ethernet module is an expensive way to connect to a tiny PanelView, and virtually all systems include an Ethernet switch for online monitoring. The fact that the ENBT is connected to the PanelView directly suggests to me that it was done intentionally.

So if this system is specifically built to NOT be messed with.... don't mess with it until you know how it will react.

Yes Sir, that's why I am asking my questions now. They want me to upload the project in the CPU. This is why I was debating between DF1 or Ethernet.

A few years ago I was brought in to troubleshoot a burner management system that ran on a PLC-5 Classic controller. I don't remember for sure what I wanted to edit, but I know I had to turn the PLC-5 into Remote RUN mode. I was the hot-shot factory guy, so I just connected up with a 1784-PCMK and flipped that keyswitch over to the center position.

KLAXON ! SIREN ! STROBE ! VENT ! DUMP !

That's the day I learned that burner control guys write the keyswitch position status bits into their emergency shutdown code.

HaHa Ken, I have had a few of those "Awe ****!!!" moments as well.

Aren't those moments wonderful? And then there's those few seconds of going "was that me? Surely just flipping that switch wouldn't have done that, must just be coincidence...but everyone's looking at me...*****..."

I would be careful, if you don't know that the system can tolerate loss of the HMI device.

Ok, they are letting me take the system offline, to upload the project. I am going to install a network switch (hub) at the same time, so I won't have to interrupt the system again, just to go online with it. I am sorry to repeat myself but I am trying to avoid an awe crud moment. This switch shouldn't hurt a thing, correct? Not knowing much about Control Logix PLC's, this makes me feel vulnerable and not at all warm and fuzzy.

Thank you

My standard go to is DF1 first. Upload the program. Save it. Then look and see if it is OK to go in the Ethernet port.

My standard go to is DF1 first. Upload the program. Save it. Then look and see if it is OK to go in the Ethernet port.

Hi Jeff. We can't seem to locate an AB serial cable, so if I go this route, I will have to bring in my own tomorrow. The only thing connected to this Ethernet/IP module is an AB Panel View 400. When you say "Then look and see if it is OK to go in the Ethernet port", how will I know if it is okay to go into the Ethernet port?

I am a young guy that runs and guns 99% of the time so. I use the DF1 to find the PLC IP address and see what addresses are used and what might be open.
More then once I have unplugged a simple Ethernet cable and seen several machines shutdown. Think about I/O or Produced / Consumed Tags.

I am a young guy that runs and guns 99% of the time so. I use the DF1 to find the PLC IP address and see what addresses are used and what might be open.
More then once I have unplugged a simple Ethernet cable and seen several machines shutdown. Think about I/O or Produced / Consumed Tags.

Oh, I get it. They are letting me have the system and if it takes it off line, it won't matter. This module displays its IP address on the front of it. I have not used a "web site" for AB products yet however, I don't imagine it being any different than Crimson, for example. I put the IP address in the search engine and I am assuming (by what I have read) that it should give me access to the CPU. Am I understanding that correctly? Thanks.

Using the web page built into the Card will let you see what is in the rack and traffic.

This is NOT how you go online. you will still need RsLinx and RS5000.

Using the web page built into the Card will let you see what is in the rack and traffic.

This is NOT how you go online. you will still need RsLinx and RS5000.

Ahhhh okay. I was under the impression I could upload the project from the CPU, via the Ethernet IP module. So it sounds like I will still need to use DF1? I am a little confused. Am I able to access the CPU and go online with it via this module?

No matter if you connect Ethernet or DF1, you will absolutely need RsLinx and RS5000!

Yes Sir, that I know. I just need to feel comfortable using this module to access the program in the CPU. Since I have never used this Ethernet Module type before, there are to many unknowns for me to just dive-in and do it. If I am not going to have access to the program in the CPU from there, then it is a waste of time anyway.

Could someone please tell me, is the program saved on the SD card? Could I simply pull the card out and use a reader at my desktop?

The program may or may not be saved on the SD card. The user has to go online and perform a Store procedure using RSLogix 5000 in order to save a binary image of the program and firmware to the SD card.

This image file is NOT readable with desktop software. It can only be read by a controller.

Because the SD card is also an ordinary memory card, I frequently also put a copy of the *.ACD project file from RSLogix 5000 onto the card before I leave a site. But that's not automatic, and I wouldn't count on it having been done by whomever commissioned this system.

It doesn't matter whether you use a DF1 or Ethernet driver in RSLinx Classic to give RSLogix 5000 access to the controller. You still need to do the basic connect and upload steps.

I think some confusion came when the web server feature was mentioned. This is purely a status and informational view of the 1756-ENBT and the controller backplane, and is not a configuration or upload/download tool.

If the ENBT module and the HMI are connected directly, then I believe that CAT5 cable will be a "crossover" cable - I don't think either end is auto-sensing on Rx/Tx.

Having said that, most modern switches are, but not all...You may be able to retain the existing cable, or not.

Just a gotcha that can getcha !

To that point, I was commissioning some new managed switches today, and the 'crossover' feature, is, by default, disabled. What a surprise.