DHCP Data host configuration protocol

f.fabunmi

Dear Experts,
please I want to know may dhcp is a software or hardware. and how it can be used especially when trying to connect it with the PLC. very urgent awaiting your response.
Best regard,
FEMI

DHCP is Dynamic Host Control Protocol where your device asks if there are any devices out there that can assign an IP address. If there is, then an IP address is selected from a possible range and supplied to your component.
If you have no devices that can handle DHCP, you need to assign a static IP address to your component.

Dear danatomega,
thanks for your quick reply. the issue is this, one of my electrical panel having a PLC that went on stop mode. and I contacted the company that did the commissioning of plant, they told me they are going to reset the PLC via internet but they are asking me whether I have dhcp. but my question is that this dhcp, is it a software I will need to install on my PC before I can be able to connect the PLC to the internet??? Please, I need more explanation on this thank you for your support.
Best regard,
Femi.

Most PLC's will not be configured to use DHCP - if they did, they would not have the IP address that you need to connect to it - the IP address would occasionally change.

Now, on to their question - why are they asking the question? Are they trying to determine whether the PLC has its original IP address?

They should be asking what IP address they should be connecting to since it is highly unlikely that its IP is what they will see from the internet connection. They should be asking what IP they are to use - a router or other device would present an IP that they can connect to from the internet in order to gain access to your PLC.

Thanks for your quick reply. I think just as you have said, I will need to ask them, which router or a device they want to use that will present an IP they can connect to from the internet in order to gain access to my PLC. In fact, this forum is very helpful. thanks a lot.
Regard,
Femi

Your router should have IP configurations for WAN (Wide Area Network - the internet connection) and LAN (Local Area Network - you network inside your facility). Determining these could help your outside service people.

Thanks. I will carry you along on whatever their response maybe on the device or router they want to use to get the PLC reset via the internet. thanks.
Best regard,
Femi

Most PLC's will not be configured to use DHCP - if they did, they would not have the IP address that you need to connect to it - the IP address would occasionally change.

If the device providing DHCP like a switch in the cabinet has DHCP persistence or if there is a reservation set DHCP will work fine for the PLC and the address will never change.