EtherCAT Slaves

ceilingwalker

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello all. I am not sure who here might have experience enough to help me with this however, I have been tasked with "Defining IP ratings on EtherCAT Slaves". First of all, I have never worked with EtherCAT. My experience with Fieldbus systems in general, isn't worth mentioning. I have called the ETG office and sent an email but haven't heard anything back just yet. I have viewed some youtube videos to give me an idea how to set up an EtherCAT system, how to set up the I/O's, but it appears to be pretty limited. Most of my experience is with TCP/IP over Ehternet. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Also, this EtherCAT is being used with NI field devices and controls and LabVIEW 2014 s-ware. Thanks much.

"IP ratings" typically refers to "Ingress Protection". It's a standard for describing how well sealed against dust and water a particular electronic package is.

A nice explanation here: [Link]

Typical National Instruments stuff is IP 1; it's only protected against poking it with your fingertip or a screwdriver.

"IP ratings" typically refers to "Ingress Protection". It's a standard for describing how well sealed against dust and water a particular electronic package is.

A nice explanation here: [Link]

Typical National Instruments stuff is IP 1; it's only protected against poking it with your fingertip or a screwdriver.

Awesome, thank you Ken.

:site:

A typical "slice I/O" terminal, like Beckhoff or Wago carries IP20 rating. A module which installs outside of an electrical panel would typically be IP65 or IP67 ("washdown duty").

I am not sure if this is even what is being asked; if this is really about ingress protection, it has nothing to do with EtherCAT; it is a feature of the hardware implementation of any electrical device.

A typical "slice I/O" terminal, like Beckhoff or Wago carries IP20 rating. A module which installs outside of an electrical panel would typically be IP65 or IP67 ("washdown duty").

I am not sure if this is even what is being asked; if this is really about ingress protection, it has nothing to do with EtherCAT; it is a feature of the hardware implementation of any electrical device.

It is an NI EtherCAT slave device, if that helps.