PLC Standard Specification

Burch

Good Morning,

I am attempting to create a PLC specification. Something to use as a guide when a PLC needs to be replaced.

I have read quite a few in my last job, but never created on from "scratch".

I have a pretty good idea of the technical information that needs to go into it, but I can't quite recall the format. I will need a hardware section with CPU and memory requirements (etc.), a communications section, a software/programming section, etc., etc. Probably even a section on migration for this particular project.

What I was wondering if anybody knows of a "template" that I could use as a start?

Thanks in advance,

Burch

Unless you work for an Engineering firm writing generically, this is more of a nuisance than it is worth, IMHO. They almost always go obsolete before they get updated and cause end users to end up with old or fading technology instead of the best available for the job at hand.
If you work for an End User, I suggest listing the one or two preferred manufacturers and a note to not use any old, aging or unreleased product.
If this is for an OEM, pick your product and over-charge for any substitute, as most do.

Here is an old one from GE Fanuc:

Burch,

This is from memory.

State your Scope of work. Also state that all work not done in a professional manner or materials not found to be done in compliance with the specifications below will be replaced at vendors expense.
State that all work must follow NEC 70 and NFPA 79 (industrial handbook for industrial machinery) rules.
State your company's specific rules.

Specify the plc brand, cpu models you will accept
Specify spare I/O - usually 20%
Specify HMI Terminals that are allowed and allow for expansion.
Specify HMI software.
If you do not have any programming software, specify that programming
software must be purchased and registered in your companies name and turned over to you upon delivery. Software Must NOT have been installed on a pc before delivery.

Specify the programming style to be used, Ladder logic, sequencers and so on.
Specify what programming methods are NOT to be used. I always say no sequencers, fuzzy logic, grafcet, function blocks, structured text because most
maintenance people do not understand it. There are exceptions of course.
Specify (3) copies of user manuals, maintenance manuals, cad drawings.
Specify electronic copies of everything on a cd in editable form.

SPECIFY THAT YOUR COMPANY OWNS ALL THE RIGHTS TO THE SOFTWARE, MANUALS, DRAWINGS, PLC PROGRAMS AND THAT NO PASSWORDS WILL BE USED TO PREVENT YOU FROM MAKING MODIFICATIONS!! Note that there are certain exceptions to the above statement.

If you are buying a machine, specify that there will be a day / time to do a machine runoff at the vendors facility with production parts.
Specify that the vendor will provide (1) days training for all shifts and another day on each shift for support.

I am sure that there are other items you may want to include.

regards,
james