You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old December 24th, 2017, 02:02 PM   #1
AustralIan
United Kingdom

MQTT Vs OPC

Anyone used MQTT for anything?
How does it compare to OPC?
How easy is it to setup?
How easy is it to maintain?
Do you pronounce it EMM QUE TEE TEE or em cute ee TEE?

Discuss.
Old December 24th, 2017, 04:26 PM   #2
damica1
United States

Here's something that may help!

http://blog.opto22.com/optoblog/opc-...tt-in-the-iiot

If I was connecting to various brands, hardware types, across different networks, MQTT would be what I would use. Very easy to setup, not expensive, easy to maintain!

But if I'm just connecting a single piece of hardware to another and I don't need to expand OPC (Might be the best choice!)

You might also want to look at Cirrus Link's web site, Mr Arlen Nippers is the co-inventor of MQTT.

Marshall Electric / www.mei-tech.com

PLEASE READ: https://www.prlog.org/12642091-marsh...-industry.html

PLEASE READ: https://www.prlog.org/12680572-marij...hold-word.html
Old December 25th, 2017, 08:17 AM   #3
mk42
United States

I've never heard anyone say mqtt out loud, but in my head I pronounce each letter.

To me, MQTT and OPC solve different problems. OPCb defines a cross platform way of reading/writing data, whereas MQTT defines a way of transporting data. The next revision of the OPC UA spec actually incident MQTT as a transport option (current options are binary or http requests).

Both can be pretty light weight. Multiple PLC brands can have OPC UA built into the PLC. I'm seeing mqtt discussed in many RTU applications, places where communication is spotty.

I've never actually seen MQTT in industry yet, but many of us have used it in things like FaceBook messenger.

As far as maintenance/usability, that depends entirely on the vendor's implementation.
Old December 25th, 2017, 09:26 AM   #4
danw
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by damica1 View Post
+1 Thanks for the link. Very informative. Dan
Old December 25th, 2017, 10:17 AM   #5
mk42
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk42 View Post
The next revision of the OPC UA spec actually incident MQTT as a transport option (current options are binary or http requests)
Too late edit: actually includes, not incident
Old December 26th, 2017, 04:14 PM   #6
boneless
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

I use MQTT around my house for some remote sensors and sprinkler.

Works well, but would not imagine using it for "work". I would consider it if I had long distance RIO, it is very easy to connect to the cloud. Not to sure about security tho.

OPC is a proven concept, never had issues.
Old December 26th, 2017, 06:24 PM   #7
Mark-
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneless View Post
Not to sure about security tho.
You can use SSL and additionally the protocol supports user names and passwords.

Mark
PeakHMI
Old January 7th, 2018, 03:22 PM   #8
AustralIan
United Kingdom

Thanks guys! MQTT seems to tick a lot of boxes, but like any protocol it is only as good as the things that use it! I still think it is a bit early for me to adopt at this stage, unless I have a lot more resources to throw at researching and developing a solution with it.

Maybe the answer is to start it as a hobby on a sprinkler system so I can get a feel for it.
Old March 17th, 2018, 05:27 PM   #9
bits'bytes
Austria

Hello,

I just wanted to share that we just installed for a customer a MQTT connection. 5 machines - each producing like 30 live values during the process - are sending the process data as well as SET values to a mosquitto broker. The clients MES system is reading them from there and joining them to other contract data.

From my experiance I have to say that I never saw any protocoll that is that easy to handle and understand and flexible.

As we kept data local, security was no issue, but as already mentioned there are ways (TLS, ..) also, when using VPN it should be safe also I think.

The best thing in here was that we used a straight ASCII format for all values , so just like "12.3 V" for a voltage actual value. So, without any problem we could use e.g. MQTT-Spy (freeware) to check the data on the broker, compare it with the data on the MES and helping us to find really fast some small bugs on the other side.

Also that broker thing in the middle is genious. A client is producing data and writing it to the broker, 0 - n clients may or may not read it. It is a perfect Interface between two parties (e.g. customer and machine manufactorer).

BR
BB
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum