1734 AENT Network Status Flashing

Do you mean that the PLC has two network ports with different IP addresses? Or that it has one of these two addresses and the NAT device is configured to map the other address to that one?

The issue is pretty clearly that the two devices just aren't talking to each other, and the most likely culprit is something in your NAT setup.

Having the AENT on a separate network from the PLC is definitely an unusual setup in my experience; usually I'd set them up on the same (private) network, then use NAT to allow the public network to access the PLC but other devices.

It is the ladder, it has an address of 192.168.1.xxx and the NAT maps it to 10.201.104.xxx.

Have you tried the reset module, or cycling power? Also are your thumbwheels set correctly? Did you use BOOTP to set your IP and click disable DHCP after adding the relation and cycling power?

Yes I have. The thumbwheels are set to 999 and DHCP is disabled.

Have you tried the reset module, or cycling power? Also are your thumbwheels set correctly? Did you use BOOTP to set your IP and click disable DHCP after adding the relation and cycling power?

HMI's arent in the Ethernet module setup. there is no Ethernet/IP connection with them, They are TCP.

If you double click a module the general tab will show the IP network setting

The controller is set to 10.201.104.xxx when I double click it.

Can you diagram how the network is physically set up? What is the physical connection relationship between the PLC, the AENT, and the NAT device.

Is your gateway address on both devices pointing at the NAT device?

Can you diagram how the network is physically set up? What is the physical connection relationship between the PLC, the AENT, and the NAT device.

Is your gateway address on both devices pointing at the NAT device?

The PLC is connected to an ethernet switch inside the cabinet. Also connected to this switch is the a programming port, the HMI, a computer and my newly added 1734 AENT. The switch is connected to a NAT device. Everything connected to the switch has two IP addresses, on the private side it's 192.168.1.xxx and on the public side 10.201.104.xxx.

When I hook up to the programming port, I set my laptop IP address to the 192.168.1.xxx address.

Hope that helps a bit.

Yes the gateway is pointing at the NAT device for the PLC and the AENT.

The PLC is connected to an ethernet switch inside the cabinet. Also connected to this switch is the a programming port, the HMI, a computer and my newly added 1734 AENT. The switch is connected to a NAT device.

The PLC and AENT are on the same network both physically and logically then, and there's no need to involve the NAT in communication between them. Your setting in the PLC's module definition for the AENT should be its 192.168.1.xxx address.

The NAT allows devices outside the network to communicate with devices inside it using the 10.201.104.xxx addresses. In this case both devices are inside it; I am unsure if it is even possible for devices inside the network to use the external addresses to communicate with each other.

Yes the gateway is the same for both devices.

Is the gateway address also the address of the local port of the NAT device (probably 192.168.1.1)?

The PLC and AENT are on the same network both physically and logically then, and there's no need to involve the NAT in communication between them. Your setting in the PLC's module definition for the AENT should be its 192.168.1.xxx address.

The NAT allows devices outside the network to communicate with devices inside it using the 10.201.104.xxx addresses. In this case both devices are inside it; I am unsure if it is even possible for devices inside the network to use the external addresses to communicate with each other.

Is the gateway address also the address of the local port of the NAT device (probably 192.168.1.1)?

Ok so you think if I switch the IP address of the 1734 AENT in the IO configuration to 192.168.1.40 if I'm understanding correctly? Just curious as to why it would be on that address while in the IO configuration for the L24ER it is the 10.201.104.xxx address.

The gateway address is .254 and yes it is also the port of the NAT device.

Last edited:
Ok so you think if I switch the IP address of the Point IO in the IO configuration to 192.168.1.40 if I'm understanding correctly? Just curious as to why it would be on that address while in the IO configuration for the L24ER it is the 10.201.104.xxx address.

Are there two separate I/O configurations where it is set as 10.201.104.xxx?

Since the PLC has an internal address of 192.168.1.xxx, setting a module address for a device in the PLC that's anything other than 192.168.1.xxx is basically telling it that the device is on an outside network and communication should be routed through the NAT device. It's like trying to mail your next door neighbor a package but telling the post office it's international -- the post office might be able to figure it out, but the router apparently isn't capable of detecting it's actually local and connecting back through the local network.

Are there two separate I/O configurations where it is set as 10.201.104.xxx?

Since the PLC has an internal address of 192.168.1.xxx, setting a module address for a device in the PLC that's anything other than 192.168.1.xxx is basically telling it that the device is on an outside network and communication should be routed through the NAT device. It's like trying to mail your next door neighbor a package but telling the post office it's international -- the post office might be able to figure it out, but the router apparently isn't capable of detecting it's actually local and connecting back through the local network.

I've added photos of the IO configuration as it is currently.

Module Properties 1734 AENT.PNG Module Properties 1756.PNG 1769 Module Properties.PNG

I'm still convinced the PointIO needs to be on the 192.168.1.xxx network.

The ENBT looks like a separate PLC (L71) that your communicating with, probably with producer/consumer tags.

The fact your PLC (L24) is on the 192.168.1.xxx network tells me the Point IO should be the same.

I haven’t read all the details of this discussion but it appears that you have the modules set to the public address. Shouldn’t these be set to the private address? The nat router will translate the address PRIVATE to public.

I haven’t read all the details of this discussion but it appears that you have the modules set to the public address. Shouldn’t these be set to the private address? The nat router will translate the address PRIVATE to public.

This guy gets it...

Think we all agree to change the PointIO address in the PLC program to 192.168.1.40

Just curious as to why it would be on that address while in the IO configuration for the L24ER it is the 10.201.104.xxx address.

Based on the screen shot you posted, this statement is incorrect, and likely the source of your confusion. The IP address of your 1769-L24ER is 192.168.1.20

The IP address of your ENT2 is 10.....