First Siemens Project

rupej

Hello all,

I have a customer that wants me to use a Siemens controller for a new process. It's pretty simple- just a PID for level control, some blending calculations and a few alarms. Normally I would use a MicroLogix 1400 for this sort of thing.

Never having used Siemens PLCs, is there a "go-to" model for small projects like this? I remember hearing that they have some sort of starter kit that includes a small PLC and HMI. I'm guessing a trial version of the PLC and HMI software comes with this kit?

I've inquired with some local vendors, but they usually aren't very helpful with technical questions.

Any advice and suggestions are greatly appreciated! 🍻

The Micrologix equivalent would be the S7-1200 range. I find them quite capable for the price to be honest.

I believe the TIA Portal has a 15 or 21 days grace period, but am not sure if it limits the download to the PLC... I believe not as that wasn't an issue with Simatic Manager.

Yes
The starter kit comes with everything you need to “get started”
It’s a small 1200 so you may need to add I/O for your project
What specific questions do you have?

Understand that Siemens might have a dozen distributors in an area selling everything else, but usually only one of them is authorized to sell automation equipment. You need to find that one or you will be wasting your time. The others might be able to sell automation parts if you give them a part number, but they pay the same price you would by going to the right source, then mark it up again. The Siemens website has a "Find my Distributor" tool, but you must first tell it that you want automation in order for it to filter out the non-authorized distributors.

Thanks for the tips!

My vendor appears to be legit, as per the "find my distributor" tool, so it looks like I just guessed right.

I was quoted a starter kit with a S7-1200 1212C, a KTP700 "Basic" HMI, and a license to Step 7 Basic. Also threw in a few 4-channel analog I/O cards.

I was curious, am I missing out on anything by having only the Step 7 "Basic" programming software vs. a higher version? Any concerns/suggestions on the hardware that was selected? Not going to be obsoleted or any hidden "land mines" with them, are there?

Thanks! (y)

I was curious, am I missing out on anything by having only the Step 7 "Basic" programming software vs. a higher version? Any concerns/suggestions on the hardware that was selected? Not going to be obsoleted or any hidden "land mines" with them, are there?

I think that sets you up with a great place to start. Not missing any major features or hidden old HW.

Step 7 Basic is fully featured for the 1200 series PLCs. It includes WinCC Basic, which is fully featured for the Basic series HMIs. The upgrades for both Step 7 (Professional or Safety) and WinCC (Comfort/Advanced/Professional) generally activate new HW, not new software features. There are a few optional packages that have been added relatively recently, but they are mostly pretty advanced functionality, like integration into Teamcenter for backing up projects with your CAD files.

On the HW side, the 1200 series has a little bit of improvement baked into the CPU. As you go up in CPU 1211/1212/1214, each one has a little more memory and a little more onboard IO than the last. They also allow you to add more IO modules as you go up in CPU. If I recall, the 1211 allows no addon IO modules, the 1212 allows 2 or 3, and the 1214/1215 allow 8. The 1200 family is relatively new, so you're probably OK in general. Make sure the CPU you're getting supports the v4 firmware, and you should be OK.

The Basic panel line has an old version and a new version. The KTP700 Basic should be part of the new family, so you should be OK there as well. The older family was a 6" display (KTP600).

The Siemens One Two, One Two is great for testing audio equipment :ROFLMAO:

Hah!