siemens s7/step software

RY_Guthrie

I am needing to connect to a siemens s7-300 plc, I have step 7 basic but as far as I can find online I need the professional version to go online and edit the code. Can anyone verify that for me? Also is the software backward compatible, example, if I have version 7 can i go online with a plc programmed with version 6? I tried getting online help but it being the weekend that isnt available. thanks!

RY
Look at you working on a Saturday :)
Can you be more specific on your version of software?
But yes. You need professional for s7300

It is possible to download a trial version of STEP 7 Professional (TIA Portal) or STEP 7 V5.6 TRIAL (often referred to as "Classic"). Which one you download will depend what variant of software was used in your original offline project.

If you have a .zapXX file (where XX is the version number of TIA Portal), then you have a TIA Portal backup file.

If you have a .zip file with many folders and a .S7p file in it, then it is the Classic backup file.

As mentioned by sigmadelta, there are two packages called Step 7, the newer TIA Portal (v11-v15) and the older Simatic Manager (v5.6 and below).

V15 can technically go online with a PLC downloaded from V14, but you can't do much.

V5.6 has full online capability with v5.5, on down to something like v5.2, which is a LONG time ago.