Control Logix - Altivar 71 Ethernet/IP

benmccormick

Hi,

I am fairly new to Allen Bradley.

I am (attempting) to setup an Altivar 71 (with Embedded Ethernet) to communicate with a Control Logix PLC (via Ethernet).

I am using Logix Designer V30.

I have downloaded the appropriate EDS file from the Schneider website. (As far as I could read, it is firmware specific. As my drive is Firmware Version 3.3, I have downloaded ATV71_EthernetIP_V3.3.EDS)

I have added this to my project. I have connected the drive and it seems happy enough.

My problem: There is only the variable .ConnectionFaulted as part of the Module Defined Data.

Has anyone ever set this up before? How do you send Outputs to the drive (eg. Start, Speed etc.) and receive inputs (eg. Running FB, Ready etc.)?

I am (obviously?) wanting to setup an AOI to achieve this. If anyone has one pre-created that they are happy to share that would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for your reply dmargineau.

I did look at this, however I thought perhaps it was an older version of how to do things, as it is using the generic ethernet module in rslogix...

I will try setting it up this way, I suppose it is no big deal. I just assumed being that Schneider had EDS files for there drives that these were what should be used.

What are the Sizes of the Input and Output assemblies of the Schneider provided AOP Module?

If lower than 12 and 10 can you make them 12 and 10?

The .EDS file contains only the communications parameters; you will need quite a lot more data for establishing control.

Last edited:
As far as I can tell,

it is setup with 4 bytes for input & 4 bytes for output via the Change... Option in the Module properties. You can increase these but not decrease...

Yes I definitely understand that 'more' is needed, but not an idea of how to achieve it.

Using the manufacturer provided .EDS for configuring of a RSL5K/Logix Designer I/O Module will probably implement bare-bone communications establishment; I presume you could generate Explicit Messaging from this point on; the posted manual link has directions of how to configure the MSG instructions.

However, it looks like you could control the Altivar VFD with Implicit type data exchange (I/O Class); try increasing the .EDS generated RSL5K/Logix Designer Module Input Assembly to 12 bytes and and the Output one to 10.

If modifying the .EDS generated Module will not establish sufficient data exchange try implementing the Generic Ethernet Module method; it has been the 'bread-and-butter' third -party integrating means since Logix inception and it's being used extensively even with the latest software/firmware releases.

Hi,

Sorry I have taken too long to reply, very busy at work.

I could not get any more messages using the given EDS so I used the Generic Module as suggested.

It was still a bit of a pain though as the manual seems to be a little outdated!

Thanks!