You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old August 12th, 2019, 10:14 PM   #1
ceilingwalker
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

Trouble matching speeds

Hello. I have a Power Flex 755 that is pulling material (fpm) across conveyor rollers that are controlled by a Powerflex 525 (rpm). I am probably making this way more difficult than it is, Im pretty good at doing that. I am trying to match the speed of rollers to the speed of the material being dragged across them but not sure how to do it. It appears to me as though the feedback from the 755 is actual Hz and the feedback from the 525 is a percentage of nameplate frequency. Any ideas as to how I can match the linear speed of one to the rotational speed of the other? Thank you
Old August 13th, 2019, 05:47 AM   #2
Lynx777
United States

If memory serves, the 525 uses Hz as it's speed command and the 755 can be programmed to use Hz, %, or engineering units.
Old August 13th, 2019, 07:16 AM   #3
ceilingwalker
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx777 View Post
If memory serves, the 525 uses Hz as it's speed command and the 755 can be programmed to use Hz, %, or engineering units.
You are correct. The reason I couldn't understand my frequency feedback was because someone had the max Hz set to 100, not the Np 60. I didn't check that first!
Old August 13th, 2019, 08:04 AM   #4
ceilingwalker
United States

Another question, please. Why would someone intentionally set max frequency to 100 on a PF525, when its Np value is 60Hz? At first I thought it was accidental however, I have looked at 2 drives this gentleman set up and they are both at 100Hz max. The only thing that makes sense to me is that he might be trying to driving it faster than Np value? That isn't even possible, is it? Its max is 60 Hz, one can't get more out of it than that, right?
Old August 13th, 2019, 08:14 AM   #5
alan_505
Australia

Some of the PF drives the default max is set to 130Hz, you can definitely run the motors at higher than the motor name plate Hz, but after that value your torque will drop off.

Alan.
Old August 13th, 2019, 08:17 AM   #6
bright676
United States

Isnt the 60Hz on the motor name plate for the supply voltage for the motor?

Some use 50Hz and here in the USA we use 60Hz. We have several conveyors with the running Hz set to 70-85Hz in the drives to keep them moving all the time.
Old August 13th, 2019, 08:24 AM   #7
geniusintraining
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

I have gone over the nameplate HZ before... if you dont need the torque then its possible, we did it just to stock less motors for backup's

This has some info in it http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=66318

There was another thread that I remember from DickDV also but could not find it...
www.PLCCable.com PLC Communication Cables, PLC Trainers, Fluke Meters, MicroLogix, ControlLogix, Siemens, Allen Bradley and more... all your automation needs... ((NEW)) After Market 1784-U2DHP Allen Bradley USB to DH+ and Gateways
Old August 13th, 2019, 11:04 AM   #8
ceilingwalker
United States

Thanks everyone for the replies about the motor frequency. Anyone have advice how to match the speed of the two drives? The difficulty (for me) is that one is RPM and the other is FPM. I don't know if I should convert the rotary to linear speed and match or just use the rotary speed of both. I just need to make sure the speed of the rollers matches the speed of the material being dragged across them, so the metal doesn't cut the Kevlar sleeves on the rollers. Both motors have gear boxes attached to them so I purchased a handheld device that makes contact with the rotating sprockets and reads rpm as well as fpm, to make my life easier. Lol
Old August 13th, 2019, 11:31 AM   #9
Lynx777
United States

For conveyors I like to convert everything to FPM and do the matching from there. Makes it easier to think through.
Old August 13th, 2019, 11:40 AM   #10
ceilingwalker
United States

Quote:
For conveyors I like to convert everything to FPM and do the matching from there. Makes it easier to think through.
Thank you
Old August 13th, 2019, 11:42 AM   #11
geniusintraining
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceilingwalker View Post
Both motors have gear boxes attached to them so I purchased a handheld device that makes contact with the rotating sprockets and reads rpm as well as fpm, to make my life easier
I use to do a lot of work in the 'web' industry and like Lynx777 said convert every to FPM (or sec) worked for me and we always had handheld tachometers to verify the surface or the contact nip rollers
Attached Images
File Type: png tach.png (830.1 KB, 41 views)
www.PLCCable.com PLC Communication Cables, PLC Trainers, Fluke Meters, MicroLogix, ControlLogix, Siemens, Allen Bradley and more... all your automation needs... ((NEW)) After Market 1784-U2DHP Allen Bradley USB to DH+ and Gateways
Old August 13th, 2019, 11:42 AM   #12
ceilingwalker
United States

Sorry, I have one more question about exceeding the rated frequency. Add to this the gearbox, which has a max rpm input of 1750. Does it hurt the gearbox if I exceed that parameter? Thank you
Old August 13th, 2019, 11:47 AM   #13
geniusintraining
United States

Quote:
Sorry, I have one more question about exceeding the rated frequency. Add to this the gearbox, which has a max rpm input of 1750. Does it hurt the gearbox if I exceed that parameter? Thank you
How much?
Old August 13th, 2019, 11:54 AM   #14
Lynx777
United States

Quote:
That's a question for the gearbox manufacture. They will want to know the loading and the speed range at a minimum and probably a few other things before giving you an answer.

If your only going a "little" over the rated speed and your "lightly" loaded, they will probably say it's Okay, but they will also say that there is no guarantee.
Old August 13th, 2019, 12:03 PM   #15
geniusintraining
United States

Quote:
If your only going a "little" over the rated speed and your "lightly" loaded, they will probably say it's Okay, but they will also say that there is no guarantee.
I would think they are just like the electrical industry and plus 10% would be OK but anything more than that I would put a thermocouple on the gearbox to watch the temp
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum