Micrologix 1000 replace relay with transistor

e27978 said:
Thanks for all the help changed the osr to ons. With no errors.

I beleive I will not exceed the current rating of the outputs.It controls a mac valve bank with five valves four opperating at 8.5 watts 24v . One opperating at 8.0 watts 24v . If I figured this right that should be 1.74 amp. At the most there are three active at one time.

8.5 watts at 24 volts will be 0.354 amp...the TRIAC rating is 0.500 amp (usually...check to be sure).

Because they're inductive loads, I would make sure the Mac solenoids have built in surge suppression, and if not, add some just to be safe.

The mac valves do not have built in suppression would these be added at the mac valve . I am not sure but would these be the correct ones 199-FSMA9

For transistor outputs to soleniods the OB8 card is 24vdc, right?

You will be able to help it's life by adding diodes reversed biased in parallel with the load...then they provide a path for the reverse current cause by a collapsing magnetic field when the inductor (solenoid) is turned off.

For AC triac outputs, a surge suppressor is more applicable...but I think all you need are the diodes...

They can be added to a terminal strip. I have in the past, added them neatly by re-arranging the terminal strip to match the spacing of the diode leads, add some tiny heatshrink to them and clamp them in the terminal blocks.

Last edited:
Processor changed and running no problems
Rearranged terminal strips and used the dioads
This should greatly increase the life of the processor
Thanks to everyone who helped