PV600 comm problem

Im going through the AB manual and it is looking like I CAN use the printer port too. HOWEVER, the old program is password protected. Hence, I can't get in it to change the port parameters. Any SIMPLE way around the password? I don't care about the old PV program. I just was the PV to elsewhere.

Unless there is a printer connected to the port it is probably at its default setting, which is printer disabled. (AUX port used for upload/download)

Give it a try.

Great news, sirs!, I made my own 2711-NC13 cable. NO1, 2-2,3-3,4-4,5-5,NO 6, 7-7,8-8, NO 9..... and Voila! Took right off. Thank you for your help. Password didn't stand in my way either! "Voila" (French for "See that") or in English "Wala".

The problem was very likely a damaged cable.

Only pins 2, 3, and 5 are necessary for this connection; it does no handshaking and requires no jumpers.

Thank you for posting the followup !

Catalog Numbers...

I just wanted to set this dead straight...

timothymajka said:
...Just because part number lists it as a 232 port does not mean that the terminal cannot be configured as 485.

The terminal cannot be configured for DH-485. There, I've said it!

timothymajka,

In the interest of you knowing better and other readers being surer...

The part number, 2711-T6C16L1, does not "list" it as just a "232 port", which may be configured for different protocols. The "16" denotes it is specifically a...

PanelView 600 COLOR TOUCH, WITH DF1 COMMUNICATION & RS-232 PRINTER PORT

The communications port for this model terminal is fixed for the DF1 protocol. The port is physically an RS-232 port. It is labelled, as Ken pointed out, specifically as "RS-232 DF1". It cannot be reconfigured to use the DH-485 protocol.

For the PanelView 600 terminals that have one, the additional printer port is simply labelled "RS-232". This port can be used to connect a printer, obviously, and also to transfer applications, as Mickey kindly pointed out. However, you can only perform this transferring of applications on the following terminals, of which all come with the additional printer port...

Note: The highlighted number denotes the communications option provided.

2711-T6C1L1 - Remote I/O, with additional printer port
2711-T6C8L1 - DH+, with additional printer port
2711-T6C10L1 - DeviceNet, with additional printer port
2711-T6C15L1 - ControlNet, with additional printer port
2711-T6C16L1 - DF1, with additional printer port
2711-T6C20L1 - Ethernet, with additional printer port

The following PanelView 600 Standard terminals support the DH-485 protocol...

2711-T6C2L1 - DH-485 AMP port and DH-485 RJ45 port, no additional printer port
2711-T6C3L1 - DH-485 AMP port and DH-485 RJ45 port, with additional printer port
2711-T6C5L1 - DH-485 RS-232 port, no additional printer port
2711-T6C9L1 - DH-485 RS-232 port, with additional printer port

Of the two DH-485 models above, that have the additional printer port, they do not support the transfer of applications using this port.

timothymajka said:
I have several machines running 485 out of the 232 port. Not using a blue hose either. The only way to talk to them is 485 with a UIC

"Blue Hose" would (should) never be connected to an RS-232 port. I don't think any of us in the know here would ever mistakenly think you may have been doing that? So I do not see the need to clarify that you are "Not using blue hose either". The fact that you have even mentioned Blue Hose with regard to an Allen Bradley RS-232 port would only demonstrate, to me, a certain level of ignorance with regard to this matter.

Note: I mean ignorance as in "a lack of understanding" and not as in "being stupid".

The DH-485 based terminals you are referring to (without providing Catalog Numbers), that have RS-232 ports, would undoubtedly have to be either of the available DH-485 (RS-232) terminals, namely 2711-XXX5L1 or 2711-XXX9L1. These DH-485 terminals, which use RS-232 ports, are likewise fixed to their specified communications protocol and cannot be configured for any other protocol.

However, the DH-485 (RS-232) terminals are not labelled with the "DH-485" protocol name, as the "DF1" terminals are. The "5" models have just the communications port with no additional printer port and are labelled simply as "RS-232". The "9" models have both ports and are labelled "RS-232 COMM/DOWNLOAD" for the communications port and "RS-232 PRINTER" for the additional port.

I'm hazarding a guess that you were using one of these fixed for DH-485 models and just seeing "RS-232" labelled on their ports, with no mention of a protocol? This would lead you to believe they are all just "RS-232" ports that can be configured to any protocol that supports this physical port.

It would not, or could not, have been the case, for a PanelView Standard.

So that begs another question...

Were you possibly using PanelView Plus terminals, and not PanelView Standard terminals?

PanelView Plus terminals have a multi-purpose RS-232 port that supports either DF1 Full Duplex or DH-485 through a serial connection for communication with controllers. They also support third party connections and printers.

Without the Catalog Numbers off the terminals in question this is all just conjecture, of course, but quite possible too.

Regards,
George

The "16" terminal in question for this thread...
PanelView_600_Standard_2711-T6C16L1.jpg

A "5" model fixed for DH-485 (RS-232)...
PanelView_600_Standard_2711-T6C5L1.jpg

A "9" model fixed for DH-485 (RS-232)...
PanelView_600_Standard_2711-T6C9L1.jpg

A PanelView Plus terminal with multi-purpose RS-232 port...
PanelView_Plus_600_2711P-T6C5A.jpg

You sir have spent alot of time proving yourself wrong. You obviously have eaten at the AB trough for too long it is possible and i am doing it. Ignorance is not i but you sir for i have done it. You have never even tried. Ab tech connect at its best.

Excuse you. I know better.

Timothy,

Your posts have been filled with typos, unwarranted assumptions, and references to the wrong type of network protocols and unrelated connectors.

So I'm not sure where you get all your confidence that one of our most technically thorough and precise members is somehow wrong or mis-led.

You're welcome to post information about your applications, or ask for clarifications about the OP's installation, but making incorrect statements and then insisting that others are wrong or stupid is unwelcome here on the Forum.

Peace People!

I thought I had made it clear that I was not insulting your intelligence. So the least I would expect is the same courtesy or manners in your reply. No one is fighting here. Defend your position, by all means, but you do not need to insult anyone in doing so. Your confidence in your experience and knowledge, alone, should win you through, not your bad manners.

That is just some humble advice on my part, which I did not get from the AB Knowledgebase; but from my own.

However, I think I know what you are talking about now?...

It has been a long time since I setup a PanelView Standard "out-of-the-box", but I have worked with them quite a bit over the years. We still have some in service here, but they are slowly be migrated out. Having re-read the thread a couple of times, something that Mickey said reminded of a possible feature you may be using here...

When I said you cannot "configure" these RS-232 based PanelView Standard terminals to any other protocol, what I was referring to, and I think Mickey was too; is that you cannot take them out of the box, power them up, go into Configuration Mode and set the RS-232 Communications port from DF1 to DH-485, or vice versa. Nor will they auto-configure to either protocol if you connect the equivalent cable and attempt to use either driver type.

This is all quite true.

When I re-read Mickey's mention of the firmware today it twigged with me that what you were possibly talking about is the ability to download different firmware versions to the Standard PanelView terminals. Something I had forgotten about until today.

This is entirely different to simply reconfiguring a port to a different protocol.

If you had attempted, in some shape or form to explain what procedure you were using to do this then I think people would have understood you better.

Is this what you are/were doing with these terminals?

Regards,
George

The only Standard PanelView's I know of where the protocol can be changed with firmware is the PanelView 300 Micro Terminals.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Hi Mickey,

It may be a little known fact, which I had forgotten, or a very seldom used feature, but it has always been possible to load a different firmware into certain PanelView Standard terminals, that have an RS-232 port, to convert their default communications protocol. I'm sure that not too many have utilised it over the years and that is why we were overlooking it?

I think the optional firmware files used to be shipped on the PanelBuilder32 CD?

For instance, a DF1 RS-232 terminal could be loaded with a DH-485 version firmware file and the port would be converted to use DH-485. I suppose it has its uses where someone wants to convert a network type without changing hardware or provision one terminal type onto the opposite network type.

We do live and learn, don't we?

G.

I had a quick look this morning to confirm my recollections and found this...

19042 - PanelView Standard: Changing RS-232 PanelView from DF1 to DH-485 or DH-485 to DF1
Access Level: Everyone

Note as well how the physical communication and printer ports swap functions after the optional firmware is loaded. A very odd conversion indeed. A sticker over the ports indicating the protocol and functional change would be highly advisable here.

Now, if I was a betting man, I would still say that the odds of the OP's DF1 terminal having been converted in this manner would be slim to none. Nonetheless, it was a remote possibility.

G.