Siemens Step 7: What Software Development tool?...

Mas01

Please excuse the basic question, but I've never worked on Step 7 before (until now, only dealt with Mitsubishi Q-series PLCs)...

What is the software development tool I would need for working with Siemens Step7? i.e. to develop:
1. the ladder logic and
2. the HMI.

I think it might be SIMATIC, but I just want to check with other forum members.

I'm about to embark on such a project, hence the question.

Thanks

It depends on the platform, if the older 300/400 series then thereis legacy S7 V5.5 or something like that, there are versions of 300/400 that can use TIA which are generally used for 1200 & 1500. So be careful, a few years ago I needed to uprade S7 v3.x or what ever it was due to moving to corporate move from XP to Win 7, I spoke to our supplier & they told me to order TIA, this was a mistake as our processors were a version that you could not make changes in TIA, you could load the project & monitor but could not change any code.
I tried to return it but it would not be accepted because the seal was broke, had to order the S7 V5.5.

Thanks, I should add that this is a brand new project and the PLC hardware will be bought in brand new. In other words, it's not "legacy" PLC hardware/software.

So the actual software is called S7-xxxx too? And it's used for both the code and HMI? What is SIMATIC used for then?

The version I know of is TIA portal V17, not sure if there is a stripped down version as you need HMI programming so I suggest you check their site
The above version contains allsorts like drive setup etc. I would talk with Siemens to find what you need by the way it is expensive.
LD who has posted could probably tell you more

https://new.siemens.com/global/en/p...-software/automation-software/tia-portal.html

Thanks, I should add that this is a brand new project and the PLC hardware will be bought in brand new. In other words, it's not "legacy" PLC hardware/software.

So the actual software is called S7-xxxx too? And it's used for both the code and HMI? What is SIMATIC used for then?

Step 7 is the name for the PLC programming software. WinCC is the name of the HMI software. Each come in different flavors and licensing levels, depending on what HW you are using and what you want to do with it.

S7-1200/1500 are the current generation PLCs, they are HW not SW.

Simatic is just a general brand name for automation stuff from Siemens.

You really need to talk to a Siemens rep or distributor to figure out what you actually need to do for your specific project.

Thanks for the replies.
The system is pretty simple. The only inputs into the PLC is 10 microepsilon laser measurement sensors (4-20mA). These distance measurements need displaying on the HMI. Then there's some number-crunching, things like average value calculation etc.

If the project is not too complex, i.e a basic hmi and using the S7-1200 plc range, then you can can buy a "starter kit" which will include the hardware and comes with a full floating licence for Tia Portal (think it's v18 now) included. The software will program both the plc and hmi. It costs very little extra, when compared with the hardware only price.

If the project needs the S7-1500 plc, you are moving into different territory and needs expensive licence.

If the project is not too complex, i.e a basic hmi and using the S7-1200 plc range, then you can can buy a "starter kit" which will include the hardware and comes with a full floating licence for Tia Portal (think it's v18 now) included. The software will program both the plc and hmi. It costs very little extra, when compared with the hardware only price.

If the project needs the S7-1500 plc, you are moving into different territory and needs expensive licence.
Thanks Zimmer, very helpful.
Thanks, everyone.

I haven't used a starter kit, but my understanding is that the S-1500 starter kit comes with a 356 day license, I don't know if the S7-1200 kit is the same but definitely worth checking out.

Another consideration to take into account is your future use of Siemens kit, if this a one-off then sure go for the s7-1200, but if you are going to use more then I'd go with the S7-1500 ET200SP CPU and add the required analogue modules.

I haven't used a starter kit, but my understanding is that the S-1500 starter kit comes with a 356 day license, I don't know if the S7-1200 kit is the same but definitely worth checking out.

Another consideration to take into account is your future use of Siemens kit, if this a one-off then sure go for the s7-1200, but if you are going to use more then I'd go with the S7-1500 ET200SP CPU and add the required analogue modules.
Cheers for this LD, appreciate it.

No , the S7-1200 starter kit comes with a full floating licence, which doesn't expire, hence it's a no brainer as long as the s7-1200 series meets your hardware requirements

Last edited:
Our starter kit had a 365 day license and the one's I can see online quickly are also 365 day license.

Depending how much you're going to use it you can also get the basic and professional versions so would be worth a bit of research to see what works for you.

Our starter kit had a 365 day license and the one's I can see online quickly are also 365 day license.

Depending how much you're going to use it you can also get the basic and professional versions so would be worth a bit of research to see what works for you.
Cheers for this - I'll be calling Siemens to find out what's best based on my requirements.