OT: Low Cost Pressure Transducer

ndzied1

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all,

looking for recommendations for a low cost pressure transducer. Can be 4-20mA or 0-10V... 6000psi. I don't need fancy linearity, temp compensation blah blah blah etc. Just something that will be +/- 5% or so.

Everything I'm finding is much more accurate than I need and expensive.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

I've used a few of the WIKA ECO-1 line, and have been impressed so far. They have been <$200 from our distributor, Daughtridge Sales in NC. I had previously used a some various OMEGA transducers, but found them to be pretty cheaply made, and a couple models had a high failure rate after about a year.

"How about I devine what I need."

"Something at or near $100."

I dont get it, mabey it's just our trade, but for us ALL components are cheap compared to the cost of possably screwing up the project. I'm not saying the componet cost dosnt matter or buy the most expensive you can find, but keep in mind it's a small part of the overall picture.

Well, this project involves whether a part is clampped or not and will never have a bearing on life or limb of a person. When the whole control system is less than $4000, a $400 transducer becomes a hard piece of hardware to make fly... especially when we don't need the accuracy that the money is paying for.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Norm,

I get the picture that it's for a hydraulic clamp, and your going to determine if the clamp has a good grasp on whatever by measuring the hyd pressure behind the piston. So presumably a pressure reading of xx > yy, = no clamp or clamp. In other words you'll be looking for a SINGLE value?? If all this is correct, why not use a simple pressure switch?

The cost isn't for accuracy. It's for the electronics. A pressure sensor is a Strain Gauge. A resistor is deposited on a diaphram that changes resistance as it bends. The resistor is typically 1 part of a Wheatstone Bridge.
You need a stable power supply to 'excite' the bridge, and an amplifier to read the output. If you try to get cheap on the electronics, you get drift. Over time, even a go/no go circuit would need constant recalibration.
Shop for a trandsucer, and use API for your controller.

http://www.api-usa.com/

Last edited:
I've used these and had good luck.

http://cooperinst.thomasnet.com/viewitems/pressure-transducers-transmitters/ptg-400-general-purpose-pressure-transducer?&forward=1

at pressures that high, you need to be concerned about burst pressure and things like that. "Cheep" may not turn out to be if you have problems.

As others have mentioned, a pressure switch or prox switch might be a better way of doing what you want to. A prox switch is a good way to tell that your clamp has actually moved into the position it needs to be in.

Last edited:
elevmike said:
In other words you'll be looking for a SINGLE value?? If all this is correct, why not use a simple pressure switch?

Almost correct. For different parts/tombstones/fixtures they need different pressures. Right now we have a pressure switch w/ a digital readout and setting so the user can easily change the setpoint on the switch, but the digital readout costs.

We are trying to streamline the whole thing and since the processor had an analog in already the thought was to just use a pressure transducer and let the PLC be the programmable switch. We through out a target price of $100. It looks like I can get close to $150 without too much trouble and perhaps lower with some more searching.

Thanks for all your inputs