Low cost multi-axis motion controller

Having read the documentation for the Galil, PMAC, RMC, Trio, etc., they all have the same limitation which is having to cooperate with the real-time system...time-sharing.

Our approach is 8 X 32bit parallel processors that share the same memory and I/O. No interrupts and therefore no latencies and no jitter. The trajectory generator has a CPU all to itself and running a 500Hz loop (copied that from Galil), it spends most of its time twiddling its thumbs.
You are using the Parallax processors.
The different cogs must still share the shared memory.
The key is that we off load the time critical I/O to FPGAs that also do parallel processing.

You are still limited by CPU speed and especially memory.

State machines, absolutely (there was a time when I thought I'd invented this concept :ROFLMAO:)

I see that the other guys run their PLC tasks on whatever clock cycles are left-over from running the motion tasks...nope, we have another separate CPU that can respond in nanoseconds.
Not us. We calculate the time of every state. The state machine runs synchronous with the target generator and closed loop control

I was just reading about a case of a BeckHoff Twincat, 1.4GHz Windows-based IPC and 4-axes of motion, dragging the IPC to its knees...:sick: Maybe it's something in one of those endless gobbledegook menus that they have set wrong :D
The RMC200 can run 50 closed loops at the same time and 32 state machines in parallel. No one has used near that many state machines.

Yeah, I sometimes watch Jeff...he's always on it. I haven't watched a TV in over 15 years and I avoid all mainstream propaganda so I rely on a few other sources for factual information.
Good!

I do have a problem with "Dr." John Campbell though. I told him that he was wrong from the outset and today he has done a complete 180 and is clearly seeking redemption :angr:
I don't know him.

The RMC200 uses a dual core CPU. The next generation will have 4 cores. This allows one CPU to handle the Ethernet tasks. Also, just the cache of these CPU is many times bigger than the memory on a Parallax processor. How to you do Ethernet communications on a Parallax CPU?

It is clear you have made a controller to do a specific task. The Delta RMC is general motion controller tha is designed to play well with others since we support many Ethernet protocols of which Ethernet/IP and Profinet are the most popular. We also have global scope. We can also debug controllers around the world using Ethernet.

I am still think about whether to pursue a history thread. I met Jacob Tal too. I attended one of Jacob Tal's seminars at one of our joint distributors. I learned on thing significant from the Jacob Tal seminar and that was the importance the derivative gain. That was in late 1980's. Galil was never as much competition as Delta Tau.

Well the whole point of doing our own thing was to get away from all the fluff that we pay for but never use.

We use the P2-Edge and thus far, memory hasn't been a problem. There is a 32MB version, if required and there's a good chunk of onboard flash + the SD card.

We also incorporate 4 X RP2040s (as on the RPi Pico but without the clutter)

The beauty of the P2-Edge, apart from the 8 cogs, is the 64 identical "smartpins". It's almost like having another 64 processors. They can be configured as almost anything. One could have 30 incremental encoders connected, for example and the pins would count (optional filtering included) at sysclock/2 even with all 8 cogs standing still. They are able to provide position, velocity or both....with no CPU overhead.
This is all contained on a tiny edge-connector board.

Ethernet: Some are doing it but I haven't followed it because I'm not interested in that. We have our own, simple RS422, full-duplex, multi-drop network. Multiple Props can be strung together or any one of the onboard RP2040s can spawn a separate network via the Mikroe Click socket.

Choose whatever interface suits your needs

Each of the four RP2040s is dual-core + a high-speed PIO system.
They normally serve as PLCs/IO expanders and we typically run PicoMite BASIC but they can be loaded up with Python, C and now the Arduino thingy.

So we're talking 6 dual-loop axes of motion control, 4 PLCs (oh and one of them has VGA output) and ~100 buffered I/O
using easily obtained off-the-shelf components for < $1,000.

Don't want to be a "me-too", just want to offer something that can be maintained and is not a rip-off.

Of course, one can pay 20 times more and put up with a dead machine until January 2024 :)

rexroth.PNG

I am still think about whether to pursue a history thread.

Please do....those were exciting times but I only have my own memories to go off.
All of a sudden, sophisticated multi-axis motion control became a possibility for the regular Joe. I couldn't believe what I was able to accomplish with 3 little motors on my desktop.
I don't think I've shouted "No sh*t" so frequently in my life and others in the office kept coming to check on me :D

I met Jacob Tal too. I attended one of Jacob Tal's seminars at one of our joint distributors. I learned on thing significant from the Jacob Tal seminar and that was the importance the derivative gain. That was in late 1980's. Galil was never as much competition as Delta Tau.

Derivative Gain: Hilarious. I got roped into rescuing a project for GM. Someone had built a huge 5-axis CNC bender that was needed to form seat frames for the M-Van because they wanted to switch-over to robot welding and so the frames had to be within a very tight tolerance. The manufacturer of the machine had used big open-loop steppers...well anything other than a snail's pace and they were all over the place. I told them that they didn't have a hope in hell unless they closed the loops. So big-mouth, here got lumbered with the re-engineering and control. Problem was that I barely knew how to program and that was only on a PC. Anyway, things were starting to get legal and so what the hey, gonna have to stick a PC (complete with beige box) on this thing.
Wow the Galil made it an instant success; 3 DC motors and 2 MOOG servo valves. For driving the valves, I took a small linear amp from Galil and dropped the gain and thanks to the derivative gain, no tach feedback required.

Heck, now we were getting repeat orders for all of the big T1 suppliers....except Lear. They didn't like my PC. "Needs to be Allen Bradley" and so they built a control panel with a PLC inside. This was a smaller machine with only two axes, MOOG servo valves. They wanted to use the same amplifier because they saw that it was working beautifully.

Could they get control of those valves? Not a chance and they had no clue why :D I have never seen so many Rockwell engineers trying to figure such a basic problem, they kept bringing different ones in from around the US. They were totally humiliated because I was rocking-up each morning, 28 years-old and baby faced, continuing to refine my code and my 5-axis machine was flying. They wouldn't even acknowledge that I was there. The Lear guy who didn't like my beige box would sheepishly wander over "the AB guys are stumped, do you have any ideas?". I let it go on for two weeks and then I informed them that they needed the actual MOOG amplifier and to somehow bolt a tach on to those actuators. Hey, they totally blanked me so screw 'em :D

Craig

You are using the Parallax processors.
The different cogs must still share the shared memory.
Way to go when it comes to putting a negative connotation on the best thing to ever happen to real-time control.

The key is that we off load the time critical I/O to FPGAs that also do parallel processing.

You are still limited by CPU speed and especially memory.
Scuse me? The RMC200 is a total dog compared to the P2
Remind me again of the servo loop bandwith...
If I limit to a 32bit position range, I handle 6 axes within 2 microseconds. I see the minimum for the RMC200 is 125 microseconds(?)
64bit and I take a further 2usec hit...still way faster than the RMC slow-poke though.

Wow, the RMC can handle 12,000,000 encoder counts/sec?

Yawn, freaking yawn. How about 125,000,000 encoder counts/sec?

Even Galil can handle 22,000,000 encoder counts/sec.

"time critical"...LOL

Not us. We calculate the time of every state. The state machine runs synchronous with the target generator and closed loop control

The RMC200 can run 50 closed loops at the same time and 32 state machines in parallel. No one has used near that many state machines.
You can hype as much as you want...your little RMC ain't sh*t.

The industry needs to wake-up and understand that the big name guys have been pedaling horse doo-doo since forever.

Enough of the cr@p!!!!

The P2 can be purchased for <$100 right now from Digikey, Mouser, etc. You guys don't like this, right? :D

Last edited:
You have got me started.

Way to go when it comes to putting a negative connotation on the best thing to ever happen to real-time control.

Scuse me? The RMC200 is a total dog compared to the P2
Remind me again of the servo loop bandwith...

The RMC is works with common feedback device. Mostly MDT rods.
They don't update any faster than that. We could do what Delta Tau did and advertise a very fast rate for when we are controlling small servo motors with encoder feedback. However that isn't what the real market is like.

If I limit to a 32bit position range, I handle 6 axes within 2 microseconds. I see the minimum for the RMC200 is 125 microseconds(?)
We could go faster but that is not where the market is. Also, you are limited to 32 bits. The RMC 75 and 150 have 32 64 floating bit registers and another 32 64 bit integer registers.
I will admit we never use them all. However the 64 bit floating point registers come in handy in some applications.
One is swept sign waves. Another is not losing precession on a move. A 54 bit mantissa is much more than a 32 bit integer.

64bit and I take a further 2usec hit...still way faster than the RMC slow-poke though.
The Parallax doesn't even have an Ethernet co-possessor.

[quoite]

Wow, the RMC can handle 12,000,000 encoder counts/sec?
The older 75 and 150 handle 8M encoder counts per second. However we have de glitching included.

What you haven't disclosed is that you must use one of your cogs full time to do what you claim.

Yawn, freaking yawn. How about 125,000,000 encoder counts/sec?
Keep yawning. We sell around the world. Almost 50% is export.

Even Galil can handle 22,000,000 encoder counts/sec.
I will need to check on what the RMC200 can handle. The question I have is how many axes?

"time critical"...LOL
[/quote[
Yes, let talk about time critical. What about your basic programming? Is it synchronous to your scan or does it just work in the back ground?

You can hype as much as you want...your little RMC ain't sh*t.
Since we only consider Rockwell, Siemens, and Beckoff competition, you can draw your own conclusions.
Yes, we compete against our own M02AS and HYD02 modules.

The industry needs to wake-up and understand that the big name guys have been pedaling horse doo-doo since forever.
yes, we have a Finnish OEM that has tried like hell to replace our very old RMC100 but Siemens can't

Enough of the cr@p!!!!

The P2 can be purchased for <$100 right now from Digikey, Mouser, etc. You guys don't like this, right? :D
It is the software that makes the hardware go. Do you have 5th order acceleration and deceleration ramps. Probably not. It would be hard to do with 32 bit integers.

You really don't want get into a "mine is bigger and harder than yours" debate. What you have done works well for your market. Our market is the world. In the first two months of this year we sold $900K US to China. $2.7M last year.

The RMC is works with common feedback device. Mostly MDT rods.
They don't update any faster than that. We could do what Delta Tau did and advertise a very fast rate for when we are controlling small servo motors with encoder feedback. However that isn't what the real market is like.

Exactly but it is the purveyors who use the meaningless numbers to promote their products.

The older 75 and 150 handle 8M encoder counts per second. However we have de glitching included.

What you haven't disclosed is that you must use one of your cogs full time to do what you claim.

I will need to check on what the RMC200 can handle. The question I have is how many axes?
Apparently you didn't bother to read my previous post regarding "smartpins". Number of axes doesn't matter and there is NO cog involved once the smartpins are configured as quadrature counters. They simply decode and count by themselves. I can config 60 pins to read 30 quadrature encoders. Running the P2 at 250MHz (so that's eight CPUs, each running at 250MHz), the count frequency limit is 125MHz.
There is not even a dedicated quad-decode chip available at this performance level and certainly not a motion-controller chip.

I repeat...the smartpins are like processors in their own right. They will continue to count/decode, regardless of whether a cog is running or not.

It is the software that makes the hardware go. Do you have 5th order acceleration and deceleration ramps. Probably not. It would be hard to do with 32 bit integers.
I have 64bit signed and unsigned integers but I have to say that something is wrong if this limits your accel/decel. Please provide an example.
5th order as in parabolic?

Correct, software/firmware makes the hardware go. Velocity profile can be anything that you care to dream up. It involves a dedicated processor (not a time-limited ISR).

You really don't want get into a "mine is bigger and harder than yours" debate. What you have done works well for your market. Our market is the world. In the first two months of this year we sold $900K US to China. $2.7M last year.
I invite you to review the thread history. Mine was a response to your apparent attitude that Delta-Motion were in a special league and that anything else could not be taken seriously.
In fact, based on their own spec-sheet, there is absolutely nothing to write home about.

Admittedly, these spec's are academic anyway because the mechanical elements are incapable of responding.

No. The irritating thing for me is that the industry in general would have us believe that there is some form of black art or black magic involved in process control and the only solution is to use their overpriced products.
Just look at all the threads on this very forum, highlighting the ridiculous struggles of proprietary hardware, firmware and EOL. There is no need for this nonsense....it only lines the pockets of the suppliers who have brainwashed their customer base.

Consequently, today, the industry is full of know-nothing morons who award themselves the title of "engineer".

The only engineer besides myself that I have known to even question the Emperor's New Clothes that is EtherCAT, is yourself (respect).

Back on topic; If I had a RMC die on me right now, it would not be up and running in 24 hours. This is unacceptable.

My own solution: The user has no excuse for being down for more than a few minutes.
I am familiar with the NIH (not invented here) syndrome and that those who could never even consider such an approach are afflicted with and so will attempt to pour water on anything new.

Example: I have already stated that I pioneered 100% electric CNC tube forming. The competition panicked and do you know what their comeback was? "Yeah but Mr. Customer, just be concerned about your electric bill" Apparently their hydraulic machines run on fresh air.

There are and always will be opportunities, thanks to the "let's just do it the way we have always done it" mentality.

Last edited:
I repeat...the smartpins are like processors in their own right. They will continue to count/decose, regardless of whether a cog is running or not.
They do the same thing we do in FPGAs.

I have 64bit signed and unsigned integers but I have to say that something is wrong if this limits your accel/decel. Please provide an example.
5th order as in parabolic?
I saw the 3rd order ramp you posted in basic. It looks familiar.
Since your machines do the same thing over and over again, you don't need to worry about changing positions, velocities and accelerations on-the-fly.
Yes, our acceleration/decelerations ramps are parabolic.

The target generator is capable of moving from any initial PVA ( position-velocity-acceleration ) and any final PVA over any time period. It is also capable of moving from any position, gear ration, and gear ration rate of any maaster distance. Of course there are physical limits but not in the RMC. It is just moving electrons. Most of the other motion commands are just simplificaitons of these two commands. For instance, we have a time move absolute where you only need to specify the final destination. The motion controller nows its current PVA and the final PVA and the user specified the time. Simple. This move is handy for making small moves. We have a relative version too.

https://deltamotion.com/peter/Videos/FlyingShear/SimpleFlyingShear.mp4

No. The irritating thing for me is that the industry in general would have us believe that there is some form of black art or black magic involved in process control and the only solution is to use their overpriced products.
Can you explain the math, calculus, involved in the video above.

Just look at all the threads on this very forum, highlighting the ridiculous struggles of proprietary hardware, firmware and EOL. There is no need for this nonsense....it only lines the pockets of the suppliers who have brainwashed their customer base.
I just demonstrated a simple flying shear. This requires precision. We sell lots of controllers for this application.

Consequently, today, the industry is full of know-nothing morons who award themselves the title of "engineer".
You and I have "lived" motion control. They don't teach motion control in college. Most don't know what they are doing. Most don't even know what info to provide when asking a question.

The only engineer besides myself that I have known to even question the Emperor's New Clothes that is EtherCAT, is yourself (respect).
Ethercat will work fine for many applications like pipe bending. The problem I have with EtherCAT is that feedback from all the devices is asynchronous. I am supposed to fix that by adjusting the sample time using a time stamp. The problem with that is that if 8 axes are synchronized, the controller must wait for the last of the inputs to arrive before any calculations can be done. The RMC200 solves this problem by using a FPGA to read all the inputs at the same time so there is no wait and no adjusting for different time stamps. We can do this for up to 50 axes. The EThercat packets are small. Only a position, velocity or torque can be sent. The packets must be sent frequently since there is no interpolation of these values between packets.

Back on topic; If I had a RMC die on me right now, it would not be up and running in 24 hours. This is unacceptable.
You wouldn't carry a spare?
Also, we have burn in racks and 3 National Instrutments test machines. Our engineers have made bed of nails jigs so testing can be done in a few minutes.
We also log the data for each piece that gets tested. What do you do?

My own solution: The user has no excuse for being down for more than a few minutes.
I am familiar with the NIH (not invented here) syndrome and that those who could never even consider such an approach are afflicted with and so will attempt to pour water on anything new.
You have your own spares but what if the customer is remote?

Example: I have already stated that I pioneered 100% electric CNC tube forming. The competition panicked and do you know what their comeback was? "Yeah but Mr. Customer, just be concerned about your electric bill" Apparently their hydraulic machines run on fresh air.
Yes, that is a stupid comeback.

There are and always will be opportunities, thanks to the "let's just do it the way we have always done it" mentality.
Way back in the 1990s I was sitting in front of the VP of Parker Fluid power. He didn't seem to be that interested in hydraulic servo control because it was only 5% of his market. My thoughts were that there is a lot of opportunity in replacing bang-bang valves with servo valves. By replacing bang-bang valves with servo valves with smooth motion profile we eliminated hydraulic shock that caused leaks that people were complaining about. The motion profiles matched or exceeded what Delta Tau Data could do so hydraulic servo control could match or exceed servo motor control on big system. Servo motors are still more efficient for smaller applications. I think we delayed the predicted end of hydraulic control. That is one reason why I am in the IFPS HOF. A lot of hydraulic people first sneered at me and the RMC controllers until they realized that if they learned to sell systems, they could sell a RMC, and the cylinders, valves, HMI, MDT rods and PLC that goes with it. That is called pull through. $$$$

Our distrubutor Comoso did well on this project.
https://deltamotion.com/peter/Videos/HODW v6 20181227.mp4
https://deltamotion.com/peter/Videos/The house of dancing water - lift cues timelapes.mp4
You can see more on YT. The scuba divers move the sets onto the platforms

We can control motors too. About 20-30% of our business is controlling motors. We have controlled motos for big rotary shears down to this below.
There can be up to 96 servo motos. This is a special high speed application where the knives move so fast you can just see them wiggle. A high speed camera is necessary to see what is really happening. The motion controllers are modified RMC75s with a lot of unnecessary code stripped out so the loop time is 125 microseconds. The trick is to cut the defects our without moving the fry. If the fry is moved the next cuts will not be in the right positions. A very special motion profile had to be generated for this. My business partner came up with the idea of how to generate the motion we need but we had to wait about 10-12years until we could get a motor quick enough. My motion business partner designed the scanning system. We still make these. There was supposed to be a few installed in Belgum. but then the CCP-virus hit.

https://deltamotion.com/peter/Videos/Delta Fry Cutting Machine Demo.mp4

Now about the magic. There is a lot of calculus used in generating the motion profiles. The fry machine is a good example of changing the motion profiles smoothly on-the-fly if the interval between cuts is small. Also, there is a lot of math involved with the control theory.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCW-m6-nwUfJrnZ0ftoaTU_w
From the analytics I know that most people bail/exit after about 3 minutes because they don't understand the math. Most people have only a very superficial understanding of PID or control theory.
They are still thinking in terms of this gain does this and that gain does that.
The system below was designed to be impossible to control with just a PID with feedforwards. So RMC100s, M02AS and HYD02 will fail. The goal was to design a hydraulic system with a very low natural frequency and damping factor. The intern succeeded.
The RMC75 and later have no problem.
https://deltamotion.com/peter/Videos/NF-FOA.mp4

Excellent post, thank you (y)

Looking forward to the vids...only just hit my desk, need a couple more coffees :D

Craig

Last edited:
Since your machines do the same thing over and over again, you don't need to worry about changing positions, velocities and accelerations on-the-fly.
We do this all the time.
Our Bluetooth-linked tablet-based HMI features a feedrate override on-screen. We handle some massive machines, capable of bending 12" diameter. There is a lot happening and a crash is usually expensive. When running a part-shape for the first time, we nurse it through the sequence, speeding-up and slowing down.
Using the integrated sensors, the operator can tilt the tablet to trigger an immediate stop (no decel)
In total, we have 5 different 'stop modes' alone. If the immediate stop happens to overshoot the new commanded position, we have a mode where it will then profile itself backwards.

Yes, our acceleration/decelerations ramps are parabolic.
Thinking out loud (haven't tested this yet): Why be stuck with parametric velocity profiles? Why not give the user the flexibility of drawing a profile on his touchscreen (albeit with some kind of snap-to mechanism)?

The target generator is capable of moving from any initial PVA ( position-velocity-acceleration ) and any final PVA over any time period. It is also capable of moving from any position, gear ration, and gear ration rate of any maaster distance.
Yup, any combination of masters/slaves and the master reference can be either the master's command or the master's actual position. With a dual-loop system, the is also the option of the auxiliary feedback.

Of course there are physical limits but not in the RMC.
Except for the 32bit position range.
Trio Motion do 64bit, mine is selectable 32/64 (I take a slight performance hit with 64bit)

What is perplexing to me is that; I have seen your mind-boggling (to me anyway) math capabilities but I'm just wondering
if it's a case of seeking a mathematical equation to solve every problem whereas a coder would use simple logic?

Example:

On more than one occasion, you brought-up the question of what happens when a trapezoid needs to become a triangle:
The fundamental issue is that the distance_to_accelerate + distance_to_decelerate exceeds the move_distance.

Why not integrate, reducing the command_velocity until we have a fit. In this particular case, I reduce the speed value by 10% for each iteration of the loop:

Code:
sp_e = 1000    'Axis_E command velocity
ac_e = 2000    'Axis_E command acceleration
dc_e = 2000    'Axis_E command deceleration
move_e = 15000    'Axis_E command move
tenpercentsp_e=sp_e*.1

ta_e = sp_e / ac_e    'time to accel
td_e = sp_e / dc_e    'time to decel
da_e = (ta_e * sp_e)/2    'distance to accel
dd_e = (td_e * sp_e)/2    'distance to decel

while (da_e+dd_e)>move_e    'this won't happen in this case because we have a trapezoid
  sp_e=sp_e-tenpercentsp_e
  ta_e = sp_e / ac_e
  td_e = sp_e / dc_e
  da_e = (ta_e * sp_e)/2
  dd_e = (td_e * sp_e)/2
wend

ds_e = move_e - (da_e + dd_e)
 ts_e = ds_e / sp_e
Can you explain the math, calculus, involved in the video above.
Nope. I also don't decorate my own bathroom.
If I have a problem like this to resolve, I farm it out (freelancer.com) for $100
That's what I did when I needed inverse kinematics for my 6-DOF articulated arm. I went to the pub and it was in my email the next morning.
I don't do JAVA but I needed 3d animated renders of my programmed parts (Android), including zoom, rotate etc.
They were delivered the next day for $100

I just demonstrated a simple flying shear. This requires precision.
And then you go on to state that you strip unnecessary code from the RMC PID loops to achieve a mediocre 125usec

It's been a number of years now but the guys who build the Alpha Tube Cut-Off (flying shear, maybe a RMC user?) told me that they wouldn't look at anything other than tach-feedback for velocity control. I would have to believe that 8KHz is easily fast enough.

To achieve 65usec, Galil's "Fast firmware" also ditches functionality such as E-Cam, gearing and dual-loop, etc. and even then, any more than two axes and it's 125usec and it increases from there.

OMRON PMAC boast "fastest in the world, 5-Axes in 25usec". No idea if/what compromises they make.

My alleged performance-limited (8 CPUs @ 250MHz each + 64 smartpins) P2: 6 X dual-loop axes in 2.5usec. This is the benefit of a dedicated CPU, no interrupts/jitter and smartpins instead of a separate FPGA.
For a 64bit position range, the 2.5usec increases to close to 5usec.

We can do this for up to 50 axes.
If the P2 had the pin count, I could have 60 axes and still be 5 times faster than 125usec.

I wouldn't do that though. The P2 is all contained on one tiny plug-in board for <$100. I would go with distributed, using the 4-wire full duplex network for data transfer only and close-the-loops locally.

You wouldn't carry a spare?
Also, we have burn in racks and 3 National Instrutments test machines. Our engineers have made bed of nails jigs so testing can be done in a few minutes.
We also log the data for each piece that gets tested. What do you do?

You have your own spares but what if the customer is remote?
If you find a place where the bean counter agrees to keeping an inventory of costly spares, it's Murphy's law that the first part you need is the one you didn't go for because "oh these never fail".

My concept is dubbed: MTTR-ZH or mean-time-to-repair-zero-hours

I designed the main PCB to be nothing but a carrier for plug-in devices. The end-user is provided a copy of everything needed to replicate the board, should they destroy any tracks.

All of the realtime is handled by the P2 module. For what little it costs, there is 2nd module, loaded with the firmware, stored inside the control's enclosure. The same applies to the PLC/IO expander RP2040 modules...they cost $10 and so backup modules are also stored inside.

Standard industry practice has been followed and everything is isolated/protected so a failure is hardly ever likely to occur but still....

All buffers, such as opto-isolators and balanced-line receivers are included in this "care package".
Maintenance guy has a brainfart and somehow sticks 110v AC on a 24v DC input (I don't know how this happens but it does), pop the unit open and replace the $0.50 opto-coupler. No need to order that proprietary 16-input module that costs hundreds - if you can even get one.

All instructional documentation, schematics, BOM can be found in the Android app. Everything I design now includes embedded Bluetooth and an Android app.
Remote support? The tablet has Teamviewer. I get much more than plots, I get to operate the machine, chat with the client and actually observe the machine, thanks to the tablet's camera.

Ethernet is cool but simply not available for most equipment. Ever dealt with these factory IT clowns? PITA.
A 5-year data-only SIM is like $8 which means that the tablet can also send text messages to report downtime, etc.

The enclosure: Top-hat DIN rail is great...NOT! It's OK if you are the panel-builder, stood at a workbench, merrily clicking components on the rail. But when that panel is installed on the machine, the maintenance guy finds himself lying on the floor or high on a ladder, flashlight between his teeth, struggling to work-on or remove this stuff.

I have embedded neodymium magnets. The unit clings tightly to the backplate but pulls away when required. Opening requires only hands, no pesky screws or other fasteners. Any parts that might need replacing are right inside. Job done.

Last edited:
Way back in the 1990s I was sitting in front of the VP of Parker Fluid power. He didn't seem to be that interested in hydraulic servo control because it was only 5% of his market. My thoughts were that there is a lot of opportunity in replacing bang-bang valves with servo valves. By replacing bang-bang valves with servo valves with smooth motion profile we eliminated hydraulic shock that caused leaks that people were complaining about.
Ahem...Cue my proportional bang-bang. If the bang-bang functionality is acceptable, why go to the expense of a high-spec valve? Keep the same valve but literally eliminate the "bang-bang" characteristic.

This is the most common clamping linkage that I have to deal with. Full stroke is not a problem due to the cylinder's cushions but most of the time, a full retraction is not necessary and is a waste of time. A partial opening is not an option because the sudden closing of the valve and the resulting shock destroys the pivot pins, not to mention the noise. My pseudo proportional solution means that we can now limit the retract stroke and ramp-down the coil current to smoothly decelerate the actuator.

The motion profiles matched or exceeded what Delta Tau Data could do so hydraulic servo control could match or exceed servo motor control on big system. Servo motors are still more efficient for smaller applications. I think we delayed the predicted end of hydraulic control.
I love my motors but I won't use them if they are not the best solution. The leaks are long-gone and nothing beats hydraulics for compactness and resilience.
I understand the issues with water hydraulics but I'd like to see some progress in this area (maybe I need to revisit).

We can control motors too. About 20-30% of our business is controlling motors. We have controlled motos for big rotary shears down to this below.
The main focus being hydraulics presumably explains the absence of Clarke & Park transforms.

Now about the magic. There is a lot of calculus used in generating the motion profiles. The fry machine is a good example of changing the motion profiles smoothly on-the-fly if the interval between cuts is small. Also, there is a lot of math involved with the control theory.
I have yet to come across something that the Galil can't handle and they use a clunky interpreter for this stuff.
Certainly the vast, vast majority of applications out there are not that complicated.

Craig

I don't have anything to contribute to the ****ing contest but in response to the original question, if you're looking to make a super low cost motion controller it might be good to support the serial encoders on super low cost servos like DMM.