You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old February 27th, 2003, 08:57 PM   #1
ganutenator
United States

Flash ATA memory card for Panel View

Does anyone know of a third party flash memory card that is known to work on the panelview.

I used to use the old 2711-NM13 AB card that used a special card reader.

I know that knew ones will go straight into the PCMCIA slot of your laptop but can't tell which part number is which.

Is the one I am thinking about the 2711-NM216?

Is there a cheaper one that I don't have to purchase from AB. More importantly, I was told that it would take over two weeks to acquire the card from AB and didn't want to pay the UPS red shipping costs.
Old February 27th, 2003, 10:01 PM   #2
ndzied1
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

Try looking here:

http://www.software.rockwell.com/for...&threadid=4102

and here:

http://www.software.rockwell.com/for...&threadid=4334
"Email is a wonderful thing for people whose role in life is to be on top of things. But not for me; my role is to be on the bottom of things." Donald Knuth
Old February 27th, 2003, 10:49 PM   #3
Ken Roach
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

The magic words are "ATA Compatible". I most often use CompactFlash ATA cards in a PCMCIA adapter. SanDisk is probably the most common maker, though I have yet to personally find one that didn't work.

Unless you have an extreme temperature and vibration situation, there's little reason to get the A-B 2711-NM2x cards. They're steel-cased, full-sized, and assured to work and stay available for ten years, but off-the-shelf cards are a lot less expensive.

Be aware that the old linear flash cards (2711-NM1x) do have their uses; PanelView 1200/1400e and Standard PanelViews with firmware before version 3.0 can't use the ATA cards.
Old February 28th, 2003, 05:20 AM   #4
sreev
United States

Compactflash with Adapter

Based on a suggestion on this board, I just successfully used a compactflash card (8MB that came free with my digital camera) with PCMCIA adapter ($9 from Buy.com, free shipping) on both Panelview 1000C and Panelview 550 terminals. 8MB and 16 MB compactflash cards are almost given away these days. I don't know how well they withstand extreme temperatures and vibration (they are quite rugged) but to me it is ridiculous to spend $200 on a 2MB 2711-NM13. If you just need to transfer PVA files from your laptop to Panelview terminal, temperature and vibration are not an issue.
Old February 28th, 2003, 06:59 AM   #5
Rick Densing
United States

I use a Sandisk 4mb card. I called rockwell and asked what cards would work and they told me this one. I bought it about 4 years ago for $40, the AB card at the time was around $200. I use it strictly for program transfer, I don't leave it in the PV. Even at $200 the card is worth it, just in the time savings.
Old February 28th, 2003, 11:36 AM   #6
ganutenator
United States

thanks

Thanks you guys. This place is awesome.
Old July 19th, 2010, 09:55 PM   #7
anhkhoi
Viet Nam

Hi all,

Can PV600 work without flash ATA card?
Old July 21st, 2010, 05:06 AM   #8
anhkhoi
Viet Nam

Quote:
Originally Posted by anhkhoi View Post
Hi all,

Can PV600 work without flash ATA card?
Our local RA guide advised no need flash card for PanelView and I am surprised for that.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum