Sercos Diagnostics

gimmephone

My current setup for connecting Ultra 3000s to a Controllogix L62 is an essentially dumb setup as far as module diagnostics is concerned. In an event of an equipment fault, it has happened where after finding no faults with the drive, I have scampered over to the open the main panel only to find a red light on my Sercos module. Except for the red light, I have no diagnostics whatsoever. I was wondering if any of you have a setup where you read the status word of the Sercos module and trigger/display faults based on it. Any sample logic would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

I just recently had a run in with some problems with an Ultra3000 that used Sercos to communicate.

When the sercos module faults (flashing red light) does the Network status LED on the Ultra3000s flash? Or check your fiber optic lines, make sure nothing is damaged.

I don't remember seeing any logic dealing with status bits other than just stopping the machine if the drives have a fault. Any faults that happen on the drives are displayed in either the 8-Segment Display or the two LEDs.

Checking the network status on the Ultra 3000 itself is something I will keep in mind for next time, but its happened numerous times that the Sercos Card on the chassis (1756-MxxSE) has the flashing red light indicating a fault but the status of the card is not being read by the PLC and hence we have no indication of a fault.

We do have the Ultra 3000 drive status info being read by the PLC (drive error bits etc.) but a Sercos Card fault won't trigger a drive fault. My guess would be that if the flashing red light on the Sercos card means its frozen or a module fault, it might be retaining its last state. In the one occasion it even happened that a pick and place gantry that picks up parts from a jig slide driven by an Ultra 3000, tried to pick up even when the jig slide was mid-way with the Sercos card faulted. In this situation, the jig slide was indicating "home" position which in this set-up is set to encoder count 0, indicating to me that the Sercos fault defaulted the positional information to 0!!

I only mentioned looking at the network status of the drive because if anything happens to the network, the sercos card will show a network error and the drive with show a network error.

When we had to replace our ultra3000, the drive and sercos showed network errors until we properly changed the I/O config in the processor. So I think a fault showing on the sercos card could be generated by a problem with the drive or network.

We have just completed the integration of a ultra 3000 through sercos with a PV+. We requested the Kinetix CD from our AB supplier which already had an integrated 5000 program with PV+ to allow fault display, trending and control of the servo. May be alot of functions that are not required but, these can be eliminated as needed.

The following shows how the Devicenet Scanner module has been set up to provide diagnostics/ Scanner fault information:

DNet_status2.JPG

However a Sercos module 1756-MxxSE has no option to set up a Status word as shown in the next image:

SERCOS_Status.JPG

All the diagnostics I get in the event that a Sercos module is faulted is:

sercosmodule.JPG

Any ideas?

In Motion group you should have created a Servo axis for your program to control. This would have a Tag screen setup with the instance name and the Data Type AXIS_SERVO_DRIVE.

This Data Type contains a number of parameters/faults and the last 2 are Sercos fault and Sercos Error code.