0-10V RTD Transmitter

drummerguy

Hello,
I am looking for some help on how to wire up a transmitter I recently purchased. Here is a link to the transmitter i bought

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121841042199?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

and here is a link to the rtd if am trying to use.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251572167399?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I am trying to connect this to an analog input on a micrologix 1400 and I am not sure where to connect the micrologix to the transmitter. the transmitter and plc input are both 0-10.
Thanks!

Welcome to the forum!

I for one am confused. You need three terminals to connect an RTD, and then for a voltage output I would have though you'd need at least three more (positive supply, 0-10V positive signal, and common). You only have 5 terminals! I'd suggest it's more likely a 4-20mA device, which can operate as a two-wire loop powered device.

Can you get a manual for it?

In any case, if you can somehow get 0-10V out of it, connect the positive to IV0(+) on your MicroLogix, and the negative to COM ANA. If it is a two wire 4-20mA loop powered device, connect 24VDC to the positive of the transmitter, connect the negative of the transmitter to IV0(+) on your Micrologix, and connect 0VDC to COM ANA. Then connect a 500 ohm resistor between IV0(+) and ANA COM, which will convert your 4-20mA into 2-10V.

Hope that helps!

The output of the transmitter is the one called Vout(this one will have 0-10Volts.
you will need a power source of 24 Volts.
on the 2 connections +and -
and the sensor only connect 2 wires red and blue to the terminals next to the Vout.
on the PLC make a connection from Vout to the input of the card and a wire from the 0 Volt power supply to the gnd of the card.

You have a 3 wire RTD and a 2 wire converter puck. Although this can work, don't expect it to be very accurate if you cabling is more the a few feet. The third wire on the RTD is meant to be used to nullify the length of the wire from the RTD to the converter.

jax you are correct, however it is chinese ebay with >5% accuracy so no worries on the wire. oke it costs <10 $ so what to expect.

and if it is working i think that would be next question.

Connect 24V DC to the + terminal
Connect the - terminal to ML1400 analogue input e.g. IV0(+)
Connect ML1400 COMANA to the 0V common of your 24Vdc supply.

It says it's a three wire Pt100 transmitter and you have a three wire PT100 device so in theory it should be fine but the wiring diagram on the transmitter doesn't actually show a Pt100... Probably just the wrong picture and the real item will be correct (hopefully).

Last edited: