1747-UIC / Cat 5 Cable? Caution!

Thanks for all the great info on the 1747-UIC

Sorry to break into an old thread, but I want to tell all of you regular contributers how I appreciate the information that you submit daily. By reading several things about the USB to DH-485 convertor on here, I was able to successfully configure one. I had to get one because I was tasked to set up two older laptops with RSLogix 500 and setup comms, and PCMK cards are not available (something ELSE I found out by reading threads here!)

When I have questions (daily), I look here first!

Thanks again.

the Cat 5 cable ane the 1747-C13 are wired differant. You can not use a Cat 5 cable in place of the 1747-C13. If you look at the ends of the cable you well see the 1747-C13 is missing two wires that are wired into a cat 5 cabe..A/B figured out away to get our money. If a cat 5 cable has worked for any one, they are very lucky. But mark my words they will be replacing a PLC or a PC.

Darn I am also very new to the foram and this post did not go where t was hoping it would.

Last edited:
You use the DF1 Full Duplex driver with the 1747-UIC. You have to set it for the DF1 parameters it uses; 19200 baud, CRC error checking, and "1770-KF3/1747-KE" device type.

Sometimes the hardest thing is figuring out which COM port the device has been assigned by Windows. Mine always shows up as COM5 (Windows 2000 SP4), but I have a customer who has it change around from COM4, 5, 6, and 7 whenever he reboots, so he has to go check the Windows Hardware Manager every time (Windows XP SP1).

One thing about USB to Serial style devices, Windows cares which usb port you plugged it into. I have 3 on my laptop, Windows has assigned my usb/serial 3 different com ports depending on which port I plug into. Amusing but odd :)

the Cat 5 cable ane the 1747-C13 are wired differant. You can not use a Cat 5 cable in place of the 1747-C13. If you look at the ends of the cable you well see the 1747-C13 is missing two wires that are wired into a cat 5 cabe..A/B figured out away to get our money. If a cat 5 cable has worked for any one, they are very lucky. But mark my words they will be replacing a PLC or a PC.

Darn I am also very new to the foram and this post did not go where t was hoping it would.

A patch cable works fine but a cross over cable will smoke your UIC. I have only a couple crossover cables in the plant and they are in my desk and they are pink. We only order and install patch cables because everrything we use has a switch no exceptions.