1747-UIC frustration

mordred said:
If you build a db9 to cat5 adaptor the 1747-UIC will probably work from the RS 232 port of the 1747-UIC

No, those are RS-485 level signals and not compatible with RS-232. Besides, I've got a PCMK card for everything else.

Thanks for the recommendation on the USB/RS232 converter. If I can't get these UICs to work, I'll give them to another controls guy to play with and get the converters you found worked.

I wouldn't give it away as its the only one I found that works on the rs 485 connections. The other adaptor is only good for the RS 232 connecxtions

mordred said:
I wouldn't give it away as its the only one I found that works on the rs 485 connections. The other adaptor is only good for the RS 232 connecxtions

I have a A-B 1784-PCMK card that handles DH+, DH485, and Remote IO connections. The other controls guy is a employee in the same company, different location.

UIC fix

I finally figured out why I was unable to get a 1747-UIC to see anything in RSLinx's Who window on my laptops, both Toshibas, even though everything checked out in the installation directions.

In the advanced section of the port settings of the USB Serial Port that the UIC driver creates in the Device Manager, there is a Latency Timer in the BM group that is set by default to 16. A note next to it states "Select Lower Settings To Correct Response Problems." So I set it to 1 and everything worked fine.

I would not doubt that this is specific to the USB Controller in these Toshiba Laptops.

I hope anyone else having the same problem will benefit from this knowledge.

My apologies I had completely forgot that switch I've only had to switch it the one time so it slipped my memory. I will have to remember to turn my retentive bit back on.

jstolaruk said
However, just like the UIC, the Auto-Configure feature does not work.

I have an Aten GUC232A and the auto configure does work. hummm ?
At least with the DFI protocol.

UIC fix Post #19

I finally figured out why I was unable to get a 1747-UIC to see anything in RSLinx's Who window on my laptops, both Toshibas, even though everything checked out in the installation directions.

In the advanced section of the port settings of the USB Serial Port that the UIC driver creates in the Device Manager, there is a Latency Timer in the BM group that is set by default to 16. A note next to it states "Select Lower Settings To Correct Response Problems." So I set it to 1 and everything worked fine.

I wonder if that was fixed in the later versions of RS linx. The reason I ask is that when I first tried the UIC I had to make that switch. However later on I had lost my harddrive so after the repairs I reinstalled the latest RSlinx version. I forgot to make that switch however the UIC still worked.

mordred said:
UIC fix Post #19

I wonder if that was fixed in the later versions of RS linx. The reason I ask is that when I first tried the UIC I had to make that switch. However later on I had lost my harddrive so after the repairs I reinstalled the latest RSlinx version. I forgot to make that switch however the UIC still worked.

I don't think so because I'm running the lastest version of RSlinx, v2.43.01

One more anomaly that I did not find documented in AB literature:

If the Station Number of the UIC device in RSLinx is to be changed, I had to:

1. change the station number in RSLinx

2. Close RSLinx

3. Disconnect the UIC from the computer

4. Wait a few seconds and reconnect the UIC (cycling power)

5. Restart RSLinx.

This was the only way I was able to succesfully change the station number.

When our shop purchased a 1747-UIC, I couldn't get it to work on my toshiba laptop. I brought it home over the weekend to try it out there. Same problem. The led's showed that all was well, yet nothing showed up in rswho. After several hours of messing about with it, I changed the comm port from 4 to 5, then 6, then 7 etc etc, then when I got to comm 10 it worked!
On the monday I tried it on the laptop again. It still didn't work..I then tried comm 10, and all was well! Out of curiosity I tried comm 4-9, and it didnt work with those settings. Being even more curious, I also tested it on 3 other machines at the shop. In every case, it didn't work until I changed the comm port to 10 or above.