1769-L35E Fault

beethoven_ii

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm currently on site investigating a fault on a customer's plc. The machine has been in and running for about 4 years but overnight it appeared to fault. The OK LED was flashing red but other than that everything seemed ok.

I got called to site this morning to have a look and found that I couldn't get online to the CPU. All upload, download and online options were greyed out. After checking the manual it pointed to the memory being cleared and a firmware update needing doing so I proceeded to do this. I browsed to the CPU using RSLinx within ControlFlash and re-loaded with V20.13 firmware. All worked fine but I still have the same issue. I can see the cpu and all the I-O tree in RSLinx using a DF1 driver or an Ethernet IP driver but I have no option to go online, upload or download. I'm suspecting the cpu may be knackered but wondered if anyone has come across similar before and resolved it?

I think the problem may be resolved now. I tried reloading the firmware again and it went into error part way through and now I can't access the plc through RSLinx. I think it has expired, it has ceased to be, as someone famous once said.
I will tell the customer they need a new plc.

I had a similar issue a few months back. Solid RED fault light, couldn't connect to PLC to do anything. I unclamped each IO card to check the connections. No help. Happened to have a meeting with my local AB rep that day and mentioned the issue. He told me to check the end cap module. I proceeded to unclamp the module and it got the PLC running again. Got another end cap module on order ASAP and replaced it the next week. No issues since. Just a thought to check.

I was about to give up and then saw your post so I thought I'd give it a try. I powered down, removed the end cap and then re-attached it. When I powered up again I was able to download the project and now the machine is back in production. Amazing!

Many thanks for the suggestion.