1783-MS10T Stratix insert SFP while switch is live

shanefaulkner

Any concerns with inserting a fiber SFP into a Stratix 1783-MS10T combo port while the switch is live? I think I have done this before, but only in a simulation environment where I wasn't concerned with causing a plant shutdown. If it can be done, are there any subsequent steps needed before the port will show the new SFP ready to go?

An older manual says inserting and removal under power is supported. But a newer manual doesn't say one way or the other.

As someone that used to teach the Rockwell Cisco courses (materials co-developed with Cisco), they clearly say when installing the switch, to install the SFP before applying power. But they never said to not add or remove them under power for an already installed switch.

The Cisco certification test also clearly says the procedure when installing is to plug everything in before applying power. That is specific to the switch installation. And again, they never say not to add or remove under power.

OG

Talking to a couple of colleagues after the fact, one said he has also done it live without issues, the other said he did it a few weeks ago and all comms through the Stratix dropped out for a couple of minutes and then came back.

Proceed with caution I suppose...

Talking to a couple of colleagues after the fact, one said he has also done it live without issues, the other said he did it a few weeks ago and all comms through the Stratix dropped out for a couple of minutes and then came back.

Proceed with caution I suppose...

Worth pulling the logs from that switch to see what happened as that's not normal.

If Stratix switches detect an unauthorized device it can stop comms on all ports. It's best to make each port a smart port. Either Device For Automation or a Desktop for Automation or for connections to other switches a Trunk. Then if you plug something else in it will keep those ports communicating.