1785 ENET - What is a Transceiver?

I bought a PLC 5/60 system off Ebay. It came with a 1785 ENET card as well as a Black Box transceiver. I've read here that the transceiver is required to connect the ENET card to a RJ45 plug and the rest of the network.

What is a transceiver? Why can't you just connect the twisted pairs to the 15 pin plug.

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Frank

Without going into a history lesson on ethernet, let's just say that a transceiver is a component that has long been required for transmitting and receiving on ethernet.

Ethernet used to commonly be used with a thick coax cable (thicknet or 10Base-5) or with a thinner coax cable (thinnet or 10Base-2). Devices usually had a standard interface called an AUI connector. You purchased a transceiver based on what network cable you were using (thick or thinnet). Go find some older ethernet devices like hubs or PC NIC cards and you will likely find this AUI connector.

As technologies developed and twisted pair (10Base-T) grew in popularity you found more and more devices with the transceiver built-in to the device. This was definitely more convenient but did commit you to one cable type. Today, thick and thin net have all but disappered and tranceivers with them. But older devices like the PLC-5 still require them. Even the first ControlLogix ethernet modules had an AUI connector along with the 10Base-T.

However, the 1785-ENET module does not require the transceiver as it has an RJ45 connector (10Base-T and 100Base-Tx) built-in .

OG

Last edited:
Thanks for the help.

Thanks for the help. I guess I will try to find more info on an AUI. I didn't realize that ethernet ever was anything other than twisted pairs.

I think the newer ENET cards come with an RJ45 connecter. Mine has the 15 pin D shell.

Again, thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.

Frank