3 Pump Floating Master

y'all are in violent agreement with each other.

@parky: 1minute timer and UDINT is good for 8ky+ (= 232x 1min ÷ (365.24d/y x 1440min/d)

@I_Automation: 0.1minute timer and DINT is good for 400y+ (=231 x 0.1min ÷ (365.24d/y x 1440min/d)

I would do mh (millihours): use repeating timer with 3600ms (3.6s) preset, increment a DINT on each timer expiry one-shot, it's good for 245y (= 231mh ÷ (365.24d/y x 24000my/d). Actually I would use a repeating timer with a 14400ms (= 14.s = 4mh) preset, and add 4mh to the DINT at each timer expiry; then I can encode the pump number (0, 1, and 2, or 1, 2 and 3) into the accumulated runtime values and still be able to sort the FIFO based on accumulated runtime. But I should be ignored.

Is this a case of so called teachers not knowing what they are doing or at least do not give the students all the relevant information.
If any of us were given a project for a multi pump system we would at least expect to know how many pumps would be running, how many in standby, would it be pumps run on flow or pressure i.e. cascaded.

I agree with I_Automation. Use pump hours as it is best usage to balance the hours. A few 10'ths of hours is inconsequential as they can accumulate 10's of thousands of hours over their lifespan.

I had an application for hydraulic power units. Each had three servo controlled variable displacement pumps and a larger fixed displacement pump. The power units supplied hydraulics to plastic injection molding machines. Bunches of them. The more plastic injection molding machines running, the more hydraulics required.
The system based the primary, secondary and tertiary variable displacement pump off the pumps hours. The pump with the fewest hours being the primary, and so forth. The operator only had to press the start button. The primary pump would start and load. As the pump output increased (monitoring the swashplate position over time) the system would start and load the secondary pump. If both the primary and secondary pumps outputs were high enough, the fixed displacement pump would start and load. The tertiary pump was next to start if more output was required. The pumps would unload and shutdown in the reverse order, the pump with the most hours shutting down first.
We used those hydraulic power units for 20+ years.

Is this a case of so called teachers not knowing what they are doing or at least do not give the students all the relevant information.

Not seeing the actual assignment I'm guessing - YES!

Textbook writers (often the ones that write the tests and projects to go along with their textbook) are writers, not controls engineers or experts in any field.

They have to ask around for specifics and they translate them wrong, rewrite them to sound more intelligent, and end up with B.S.

Then, a professional teacher is given the course materials with no knowledge of the field
I personally went to an electronics institute, starts with Dev.. in Columbus, Ohio, and coming out of high school I knew more than the professors there, plus was asking 4th year seniors in an engineering course questions over their heads. Just a Pay-Us and you will get a bachelor's degree corporation

"But I should be ignored."

Oh, Lordy , lordy! You knew I were pulling your leg.

Oh dear, were you really? (and now who's leg is getting pulled ;) ;)?)

I just think it's a great tag line for the thread. But i should be ignored. ;)

Maybe every thread. I could to add it to my .sig ... done.

Last edited:
Oh NO!! Not again to your sig.! Stop it , stop!

This would be a 2nd or 3rd time that he did this to me. :mad: