A wireless solution?

ELake20

Lifetime Supporting Member
I've been asked by management to develop a wireless solution for a basic returnable "crisis"..The problem they are facing is that the operators are having difficulties moving the heavy returnables after they have filled the box with plastic parts. Every 8 minutes they are dealing with this..so the plan is to create a lift mechanism to lift the returnable and and roll it on the casters of the mechanism, and drop it at its destination, about 10ft from the machine. There will have to be a PVA for parts counting on the mechanism and they have asked there there are ZERO wires connecting it to the nearby fixture.
The plan is to use 2 12V deep cycle batteries and connecting them in series to create 24VDC to run a DC ML1000 and power up the PVA. We have a battery charger to charge them if they are low. I will also need to communicate with the nearby fixture via wireless of some type and be able to use the mechanism's I/O in the fixture's program.

My question is, from a controls aspect does this sound possible? There arent any safety concerns that I can foresee.
What I think has happened is some distributors have gotton into the heads of management..

I've already expressed my dislike for the batteries, it will be a problem with them dying and needing to be charged etc. However I do think it would be fun to do some wireless communications!

Let me know what you guys think!!
I've just been asked to get a quote together of how much it will cost...

I know that the 1761-NET-ENI module is required for either the 1500 or the 1000, I was thinking about using a net module on the 1500 and using a patch cord and connecting it to a WAP..I'm clueless how to get the 1000 going..

Wireless I/O?? I'm not sure I'd trust any wireless network to control an I/O point. Put a PLC on both ends and let data flow between the PLCs, but keep the logic that allows things to stay safe hard wired.

Ken....that is encouraging, but can you do wireless I/O on a 1500?
I thought that was only for compact/controllogix.

The things that are safety related are staying hardwired.

edit: I let my fingers do the talking and came up with this..
http://www.phoenixcon.com/wireless/ (y)

Last edited:
You have two options with wireless I/O.
Option-1: You purchase two input/output modules, one is installed on your remote device, the other is mounted in the same panel as the PLC, the 2nd unit is then hardwired to the plc inputs/outputs. The unit in the panel is basically a converter.

Option-2: You purchase one or more input/output modules, and a "gateway".
The input/output module is installed on your remote device. The gateway is mounted in the panel with the PLC, and passes data to and from the PLC via a serial connection (DF1 protocol).

Option-1 has the best response time, option-2 is the most cost effective.

Ken

This picture shows using a radio modem with a ML1000 but I havent determine what radio/modem can be used:
http://www.ab.com/plclogic/micrologix/1500/communication.html

These are listed for the 1200/1500: http://domino.automation.rockwell.com/applications/kb/RAKB.nsf/0/8BBBCED9B0D4388785256ED900479480

To me this sounds like a neat project. I am not sure what size the device would have to be but sounds like it will need to lift over 100 pounds on a regular basis so I would look at more than just using 2 12volt batteries, maybe something like a forklift or automated vehicle battery pack which should still give you a few options. 1 is its easily replaceable, so can keep spare on charge 2 it has longer "life" between charges. 3. Should offer 24vdc. 4. Usually can obtain a monitor to provide low battery alarm. THEY are not cheap tho but if your place uses battery operated forklifts then its a strong option. The gel packs for a device that is not going to be used consistently could provide power for weeks at a time.

Not sure whether it would matter if the device used remote I/O or not if there is a way to shut it down if comm is lost.

Saw that picture earlier rsdoran....had me wondering which radio modem they were using as well...Yes we have 1 single battery powered hi-lo in that particular plant so were in good shape there...

I found this
price is right around $2500...

Thanks for all your help guys!!!

I'm sure I'll have a bunch more questions if the bosses decide to go for it!