AB 5/01 1k CPU Ethernet Module Upgrade

TheCaptain2000

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have an AB SLC 500 with a 5/01 1k CPU with an open slot. I am looking to place an ethernet module into the PLC for READ ONLY capabilities for SCADA. Opinions and options please?

Please note: I also have a 5/03 processor I could upgrade with if necessary. I just don't want to buy an expensive 5/05.

Last edited:
The SLC-5/01 only supports DH-485 protocol, and there is no effective way to convert that to Ethernet.

The best way to do this is to replace the 5/01 with a 5/03 controller, and connect a 1761-NET-ENI EtherNet/IP to DF1 adapter to the new controller's serial port.

This is easy to do and is less expensive than an SLC-5/05 controller. It's sure to work with a minimum of fuss.

I have also used a 1747-KE module in conjunction with the 5/01 or 5/02 controller and the 1761-NET-ENI, but that's a bit of a kludge and you are restricted to addressing just the one SLC controller per Net-ENI.

Using the 1747-KE and a general-purpose Ethernet/RS232 converter (like Digi or Lantronix) might be appealing if your SCADA program doesn't mind working with a "port redirector" utility for COM port access. I only mention this because you don't seem to need peer-to-peer messaging, for which the Net-ENI would be required.

Here's a link to a protocol converter, I've never used it, but it may work for you: http://www.protocolconverter.com/products/dl4500EDH485.htm

Link to ethernet card: (they list 5/02 as min. cpu)
http://www.prosoft-technology.com/content/view/full/399

Best option may be to purchase a used/refurbished 5/05.

PM me and I can provide sources.

Since you have a 5/03 in hand, Ken Roach's solution is your best option.
Link to 1761-NET-ENI: http://www.rockwellautomation.co.uk/techtips/progcont&rslogix55005000_comms.htm

Ken

Last edited:
1747-OCENET

No, don't try that OCENET module. It's for an old "Open Controller" platform that used the 1747 chassis hardware and is not compatible in any way with SLC-500 controllers.

Okay, let's go back to the 1761-NET-ENI module. I am going to upgrade my CPU to the 5/03 L-532. I know that speed will not truly be 10/100 Mbps, however, that is not very critical. However, will this allow my PC on the network with other PLCs of differing brands, READ ONLY the I/O in my Allen-Bradley for SCADA communications. I have read the white papers on this device, yet I am not very clear on that particular subject. Forgive me if I seem ignorant, I am a beginner when it comes to ABs.