AB 505 communication problem

Mickey's point is important: If it's really a 1747-L531 then it's an SLC-5/03 controller with a DH485 network port, not an SLC-5/05 controller with an Ethernet port.

That's immaterial since you are trying to connect to the Channel 0 RS-232 port.

The error message "not an SLC-500 or MicroLogix controller" generally indicates that the controller firmware ID isn't supported by the version of RSLogix 500 you are using.

I would have preferred that the error message "This SLC-500 is from the Future !", but RSI software developers are terribly literal.

Next questions, then:

What revision of RSLogix 500 are you using ?
What OS Series and Firmware Revision is the controller ?

SLC-5/03 controllers should be at OS Series C, FRN 11 these days.

Im sorry its a 1747-551L Which is a SLC 505

RS logix PRO 500
Will have to check on the firmware and OS series.

The symptoms being described are consistent with a brand-new controller but a not-current revision of RSLogix 500.

A brand new SLC-5/05 controller should have a default program in it with no I/O configured. If there are I/O modules in the chassis, the controller detects an I/O mismatch and boots up in a major recoverable fault mode with a flashed red fault LED. This is totally normal behavior.

Is the "not an SLC or MicroLogix controller" message displayed in the RSLinx Classic browse, or during the RSLogix 500 'go online' step ?

If the controller is actually new production it's probably FRN 11, which was first supported by RSLogix 500 version 8.10 in June of 2008.

Thank you to all who replied..... I got it....The new laptop at work was just loaded with this RS500 PRO.... Our IT dept. set it up as a service. I set it up as an application and was in like Flynn.

Thanks once again guys!:geek:

JDD:beerchug:

hI JDD
I asked that in Post 6 although i said 'server' - sorry
RS software sets rslinx to service every time you install it.

hI JDD
I asked that in Post 6 although i said 'server' - sorry
RS software sets rslinx to service every time you install it.

Yep.... Saw your post and said to myself...OMG....But I still wasn't absolutely sure.

Thanks
JDD