AB PLC choice for PLC Lab?

If you are considering ControlLogix based system, don't forget the Flexlogix processors. They are priced cheaper than CompactLogix and offer the same insruction set. I think they are the cheapest of the Logix based controllers.

They also use Flex I/O which is fairly inexpensive.

That said, I don't think anything is going to offer you the features per dollar that you will get with the Micro 1100. They are a great deal.(in the world of AB that is)

RSL

Dr. Hockey.
I worked in a small community college and taught plc and fluid power. The local distributers for Parker and AB were not helpful at all because they offered classes that were profitable to them.
GAS

Dr. Hockey,

I appologize for not getting that link to you today. An hour Q/A with an auto mauufacturer turned into a tour of our labs, then a request for 15 students to work as interns this summer. I got a little busy. ;)

I will get it for you.

plchacker said:
Dr. Hockey,

I appologize for not getting that link to you today. An hour Q/A with an auto mauufacturer turned into a tour of our labs, then a request for 15 students to work as interns this summer. I got a little busy. ;)

I will get it for you.
Haha, no worries. You're doing me a favor - who am I to be in a rush? :)

Dr. Hockey said:
Did you do it through a vendor or did you go straight to AB?
We did go directly to Rockwell Belgium. Negotation was done by some one very much higher up the ladder than I am. I got to know the Rockwell person involved in this deal later on and now I'm dealing directly with him every time I need some equipment or information.

Kind regards,

I contacted the vendor. He is going to send me the link. I'll PM you with it as soon as I get it. He told me that AB/Rockwell has chosen to get as close to giving this stuff to educational institutions as possible.

I hope this will help in your decision. I'm looking at DCS systems now. Our industrial alliance is mostly paper/chemical. They want DCS in our Labs. On top of that, I'm in the thought process for robots. The auto manufacturing plant could be very big for our alliance. They of course are full of robots. Grants and the alliance provide most of the money. You may want to look in that direction as well. It has sure paid off here.

plchacker said:
On top of that, I'm in the thought process for robots. The auto manufacturing plant could be very big for our alliance. They of course are full of robots. Grants and the alliance provide most of the money. You may want to look in that direction as well. It has sure paid off here.
You and I have much in common. I am in the process of designing and funding a PLC lab, a robotics lab, and a CIM lab. Yesterday, I was in Cincinnati, visiting two robot vendors. I'm looking to build ten dual-purpose training stations (robots and PLCs), giving me the capability to teach 20 people at a time. Costs are approaching $1 million. 🤞🏻