AB PLC2 -> Ctrl LGX Conversion

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the terminating resistors on the Remote I/O cabling. The original post does admit to being new to this old technology. Many a user has pulled many a hair out due to loose or improper terminating resistors. IN THIS CASE, perhaps the old system's scanner was just sloppy enough to not care, but, when upgrading to a new scanner, the rules are different. Yes, the 'cable hasn't changed', but yes also..the scanner has.

I've actually had this experience when upgrading from PLC2 to PLC5.

And, IMHO, the poster need not apologize for the shortcoming decisions of his masters. They've already waited 5 years too long up upgrade the PLC2's....they Silvered in the late 90's or early 00's, didn't they?

Bruce99 said:
We left the P2 supplies in. The A4B will work with PLC-2 communication cards but I'm not sure of the dip sw settings. Ozee had a good idea, use the CLX rack and I/O. This means a lot of wiring changes but maybe somthing to think about. Also, How about just putting a PLC-5/40 in the first rack? Get this working then step up to the CLX processor after getting the communication working. You could write the program now and then next thurs swap the racks out, put A4B racks in, slide the processor in the first slot of rack #1, set the processor to using the first rack as rack #1, put the ASBs in the other racks, then get your program working. Even if you have to borrow a 5/40 for a couple months. Put the CLX remote I/O adapter on the data hiway and get that part working, then pull the 5/40 and slip in the last ASB module. Something to think about.:)
If the racks are old, the PLC-5 can't be plugged in because the big white Molex socket on the backplane for the power cable is in the way.

jdbrandt said:
I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the terminating resistors on the Remote I/O cabling. The original post does admit to being new to this old technology. Many a user has pulled many a hair out due to loose or improper terminating resistors. IN THIS CASE, perhaps the old system's scanner was just sloppy enough to not care, but, when upgrading to a new scanner, the rules are different. Yes, the 'cable hasn't changed', but yes also..the scanner has.

I've actually had this experience when upgrading from PLC2 to PLC5.

And, IMHO, the poster need not apologize for the shortcoming decisions of his masters. They've already waited 5 years too long up upgrade the PLC2's....they Silvered in the late 90's or early 00's, didn't they?
His existing PLC-2 system is not using RIO.
Apart from terminating resistors, the blue & white wires have to be the right way around (different for RIO vs. DH+).

Gerry said:
If the racks are old, the PLC-5 can't be plugged in because the big white Molex socket on the backplane for the power cable is in the way.

This is true, the Side power supply connector will have to be used. Even on the A4B chassis the Processor sits too close to the Power connector on the back. The ASB modules work OK though.

Bruce99 said:
This is true, the Side power supply connector will have to be used. Even on the A4B chassis the Processor sits too close to the Power connector on the back. The ASB modules work OK though.

Actually not all of them. I noticed that some of ASB series would not fit in the slot due to the shape of the card, but some others will (ASC modules).

This plant had as much as 6-7 PLC2 and they were mostly swapped with CtrlLgx PLCs, but 2 of them stayed. I checked other racks (ex PLC2) and they mostly have same model of the chassis (1771-AD). Then yesterday I met with the guy who did other conversions and he said that only first series of this chassis model is not compatible with RIO scanners and that he had to swap few of them. Others worked just fine. It looks like I didnt have luck on this PLC.
Now about these terminating resistors. The reason why I think I have problem with ASB-Chassis communication is because when i plug the ASB module to the (unpowered chassis), and then apply power WITHOUT wiring arm attached, i get solid red light on Adapter Fault. I still have to test this module to make sure its not dead, but it is highly unlikely. Other racks without wiring arm would not have lights on at all, and thats what I was after. Even when I plug the beldon to the 1756 Rio/Dh+ scanner it would not make any difference..
I will probably order 2 new racks (A4B???) and then set the small lab to make sure they communicate with the actual PLC and then I will just swap them with the existing. All possible during 4hrs of deadshift. But in this case I do not think there is a way back to the PLC2 in this enclosure (which is the condition that they let me do these things).

Fun upgrades

There was 7 PLC 2/30s in this mill when I started. It was not much fun upgrading 5 of them. The chassis problem wasnt just confined to those you mentioned. A2B A4B and others were problems. I had one chassis that had the configuration dip switch package backwards. Sw-1 was Sw-8. This one was filed in the burner. We never got the last 2 finished before the mill was closed due to lumber prices. That was last December.