AB Rades 9300 - Quickie....!

Kidblue

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi, can the Rades modem have a different IP range than the PLC/HMI's connected to it?

I'm trying to connect to a customers site. The modem is out the box (192.168.1.1 etc). I can dial up, establish a connection, but within Linx the only device showing is 'RSLinx Server'. I can browse the modem homepage from my pc when connected, but there is nothing showing in the routing table (?).

The plc's etc are on a 190.194.198 range. When i set the dial up properties and Linx to use this address, again it comes up with 'RSLinx Server' as a device.

So, does the modem base address need to be the same IP range as the connected devices, and secondly, do i set Linx up to use the actual PLC address i want to monitor, or the modems IP....

Any help appreciated!

Thanks

Rob.

That's right. It doesn't matter that it's a PLC network - ethernet requires that all devices on the network be within the same subnet. You'll need to make your RADES modem within the 190.194.198 as well.

Thanks for the replies!

I have now changed the IP of the modem to 194.190.198.3 and it seems to have accepted it (via remote controller reset) and i can now browse it in windows using 194.190.198.4 but Linx now sees nothing but a 'Computer' as the device (only 194.190.198.3 works, all others fault out) - the PLC is on 194.190.198.40. Any ideas??

What do i set the IP as within the dial up connection properties? I've tried a couple and they all seem to connect ok....?

Kidblue said:
and secondly, do i set Linx up to use the actual PLC address i want to monitor, or the modems IP....

Any help appreciated!

Thanks

Rob.

Treat the modem as a transparent device as far as your PLCs are concerned. The RADES is a dialup ethernet modem and behaves as a router.

You need to configure the ethernet driver in RSlinx with the IP addresses of the PLCs you wish to connect to.

Ian

Thanks again for the help.

I'm fairly sure the problem lies at the customers end. I can connect everytime with the dial up connection, but cannot ping anything other than the RADES (nothing downstream of the switch).

Thanks again for the help (y)

Kidblue said:
Thanks again for the help.

I'm fairly sure the problem lies at the customers end. I can connect everytime with the dial up connection, but cannot ping anything other than the RADES (nothing downstream of the switch).

Thanks again for the help (y)

That issue needs to be resolved first, not being able to ping the PLCs. Until then, RsLinx will not see the PLCs

Ian

In my recollection, the 9300-RADES actually uses two IP addresses; the address you assign to it (the Management address) and the address +1 (the PPP Server address).

If you assign the 9300-RADES to be 194.190.168.3, it will also use 194.190.168.4 and you can't put your PC at that address.

Are you using the "AB_ETH" driver or the "ETH_IP" driver in RSLinx ? I agree that PING has to work first, before RSLinx has a hope to.

It's possible that Windows is routing your PINGs and RSLinx traffic to an active Ethernet adapter instead of through the PPP adapter that the 9300-RADES uses. Try disconnecting or disabling any active Ethernet adapters on the PC, and start PINGing again.

Last edited:
In your initial post you stated the IP string as 190.194.198. In your second post you said the Modem was then set to 194.190.198. Have you transposed the first two octets?

Have you transposed the first two octets?

Nope, just careless with my typing!! Sorry for the herring!

Ken, i had already looked at the RADES guide from the AB site and got the whole IP allocation (it actually says during dial up it allocates 3 addresses uses .0 .1 .2 in the example), it caught me out trying to browse it in windows (as you say, it was IP +1 for the PPP side). I'm using the ETH-1 driver, and have tried all manner of node addresses. The only one that doesn't fault is the RADES base address (194.190.198.3) - Linx sees this as a computer (previously it was defined as a 'RSLinx Server').

I will try disabling the existing ethernet devices, and see if it helps. I have already suggested the customer needs to resolve his network end first before we waist any more time dialling in....

So to clarify once and for all - the IP i set in the ETH-1 driver needs to be the plc/hmi address, not the RADES modem?

Thanks again....