AB_DF1 Comm Issues

dsking

Hi All,
I have run into something strange and some of you great minds out there can help me out.
I'm trying to connect to SLC 5/05 controller using serial connection so I can download a new program to it.

This error message comes up "Failed to find baud rate and parity! Check cables and switch settings"

I have tried the following so far;

1. A different controller
2. A different USB to serial cable
3. A different AB serial cable

I still get the exact same error.

What make/model adapters are you using? Not all of them work well with AB products. A lot of USB/RS-232 adapters on the market will not auto-configure the driver settings.

You should be using AB's 1761-CBL-PM02 cable with the adapter.

The official AB adapter is the 9300-USBS, but a very popular and reliable third party adapter is the Keyspan USA-19HS. Any adapter using the FTDI chipset "should" work ok.

If your adapter won't auto-configure the driver, then try manually setting it...

Find your adapters assigned Com port number in Windows Device Manager and enter in driver setup.

Com port: (Windows assigned)
Device: SLC CH0/Micro/PanelView
Baud Rate: 19,200
Station Number: 00
Parity: None
Error Checking: CRC
Stop Bits: 1
Protocol: Full Duplex

Try that and see if it works?

Of course, your SLC 5/05 serial port should be similarly set for DF1.

Regards,
George

For the SLC-5/05, it should be the 1747-CP3 or 1756-CP3 cable. These are ordinary "null modem" serial cables with a nice 90 degree end molded in to fit the SLC and ControlLogix family controllers.

A generic serial cable with a null modem adapter will work, but I like to use the A-B cables because there's no question they are wired correctly.

I agree that the "Autoconfigure" feature doesn't work on many inexpensive USB/RS232 converters. George's description of the default DF1 Full Duplex settings is exactly correct.

Be sure you're specifying the right COM port ! Use the Windows Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Ports (COM and LPT) to figure out exactly which COMx port number your USB converter is using.

Round Peg, Square Hole!

My apologies...silly me...quite correct on the cable guys!

I blame having one eye on the Ryder Cup while posting! (go Europe!) :p

p.s. I'm wondering about that SLC's serial port protocol. If you're trying to connect to it for what appears to be your first time, to download a new program, are you sure it's currently configured for DF1? It could possibly be set for say DH-485. Hopefully not, just something else to bear in mind if you're not sure and it still won't connect for you.

Anyway, I digress. git's video link speaks a thousand words!

G.

What time you at git? Are you up early watching it? It's 12:25 here now.

All square for the day so far...

In play:
G McDowell (Hole 3) J Spieth 2up
1up H Stenson (2) P Reed
2up R McIlroy (2) R Fowler (Should be a great dual, hopefully)
J Rose (1) H Mahan 1 up

To play:
12:24 S Gallacher v P Mickelson
12:36 M Kaymer v B Watson
12:48 T Bjorn v M Kuchar
13:00 S Garcia v J Furyk
13:12 I Poulter v W Simpson
13:24 J Donaldson v K Bradley
13:36 L Westwood v J Walker
13:48 V Dubuisson v Z Johnson

I hope it stays tight and interesting!

G.

What time you at git? Are you up early watching it? It's 12:25 here now.

Yes they are showing it live here... and they showing it again later (once the rest wake up)... I am a AM person anyway (up before 5 every day)

Im on the east coast here so just a few hours behind you

If we win (USA) you will hear me from this side of the pond... but its not looking good, you have 3 of the top 4 in the world playing on your team, I do like we have our young guns playing, so looking forward to the next cup and this one is not even done :)

Early bird catches the worm git!

Current score: EUR 16 - 11 USA with Dubuisson v Johnson left to finish (A/S at 15th).

EUR needed 14.5 to win it.

Hard luck USA!

Tight enough final day in the singles. McIlroy destroyed Fowler after, unstoppable form today. I think the real damage was done in the foursomes though. Yeah, the rookies will no doubt shine in 2016. Spieth in particular impressed me.

McGinley was saying during the week that there were talks of moving the Ryder Cup out to every 3 years instead of every 2. A couple of the American team liked the idea.

Raiders v Dolphins on in 10mins on Sky Sports. I'll try sneak a look if my wife doesn't divorce me after a weekend of Golf!

G.

Thank you GeoSpark and Ken and my apologies for the late response.
I had to travel to a remote location without internet access for weeks.

I have the correct AB cables CP3 SER A. I use them all the time. I always carry at least 2 of them and both did not work. Also 2 prolific USB to Serial adapters.

I was able to configure the IP address using BOOTP sever and then downloaded the program over Ethernet.