Adding Point IO card while processor is in RUN mode

NapierianLog

Is there a way to add a Point IO card to a project with a control logix processor (version 30 or 31 I believe) while online and in run mode without doing a download?

I need to add a 1734-IT2I thermocouple card to an existing point IO chassis but downtime for the line is limited. The communications adapter on this chassis is a 1734-AENTR if that matters.

Thanks!

I suspect you can. I have not added that particular module, but I have added a drive while in run mode without any issues. I would try going online and right clicking and seeing if the add module comes up. It will not be available if it cant do it. As always you need to take care and understand the repercussions of a fault on your processor and what that would do to your process. The one I added it to would get me dirty looks, but no possibility of damaged equipment or putting anyone in danger.

How impactful is the unplanned downtime you're going to have from doing it? (If possible, I haven't tried it yet)

I don't change anything in running systems w/out a very very good reason in writing from the folks writing the checks and the folks keeping the operators safe.

I've added drives online as well.

The problem with the Point IO I'm having is to add another module which would increase the chassis size you have to increase the chassis size in the general tab too in the IO tree.

How impactful is the unplanned downtime you're going to have from doing it? (If possible, I haven't tried it yet)

I don't change anything in running systems w/out a very very good reason in writing from the folks writing the checks and the folks keeping the operators safe.
Basically all of the work we do in these particular plants, well all as in probably 90+%, is done online. One of the big exceptions to this is adding Point IO. If I can attempt to do it online and something happens and they go down for a bit in their eyes its better than planned downtime.

Basically they typically request doing things without downloads with knowledge of what might happen.

Going from memory of a couple years past, I think it's going to take a download.

I hope I'm wrong and I learn something about this.

Going from memory of a couple years past, I think it's going to take a download.

I hope I'm wrong and I learn something about this.

Just got an answer from rockwell.

If the chassis size doesn't match what you set offline before you downloaded in the general tab of the Point IO chassis then you have to download to change it. No way around it unfortunately :(.

Just got an answer from rockwell.

If the chassis size doesn't match what you set offline before you downloaded in the general tab of the Point IO chassis then you have to download to change it. No way around it unfortunately :(.
[03:09:49 PM]Greg: it is the same as for Discover modules
[03:09:50 PM]Greg: Summary
Module Discovery and Remote Racks
Question
Using Module Discovery on a remote rack and getting the following message:

Device cannot be added because there is no room left in the chassis or bus.

Answer
Note: RSLogix 5000 revision 20 only uses Module Discovery for ControlLogix. Module Discovery only works with ControlLogix (1756) modules. Other modules, like Flex (1794), and Point I/O (1734) cannot be added to a project using Module Discovery. Module Discovery is not supported in CompactLogix controllers, either. You will need to add the modules in I/O tree manually, followed by download to the controller.

Basically all of the work we do in these particular plants, well all as in probably 90+%, is done online. One of the big exceptions to this is adding Point IO. If I can attempt to do it online and something happens and they go down for a bit in their eyes its better than planned downtime.

Basically they typically request doing things without downloads with knowledge of what might happen.

o_O
I mean, i'm not surprised, but o_O

Thanks for the update re: the chassis size btw.

I would encourage you to make a case to upper managemnt to schedule downtime for this. At the very least, you risk inadvertently damaging the module/rack by inserting it live. Worst case would be an electrical accident. I would think that this panel isn't strictly 24VDC.