Advanced HMI

Before you mess with anything regarding AdvancedHMI, make sure that you can ping the PLC. If you cannot ping it, then AdvancedHMI will not be able to talk to it.

The driver you will need to use is the EthernetIPforCLX driver. Drop it on the form. Add our control of choice to the form. Enter the address of the tag you want to connect to in the properties of the control. When you run the project, it should connect to the tag.

Issues at this point are usually typos in the tag name, the tag is program scoped (there is a way to do it if this is the case) or you are entering the PLC tag in the wrong field of the object.

What kinds of errors are you getting? What version are you using?

Hi, thanks for the information, i figured out what was my problema, the program only can reads Tags saved in the plc controller memory, i was trying to read in the main program tag list, after that everything was good, thanks a lot man, now i have another question, what component of the program can i use to write numbers or strings to the plc, because i made some test and only could read not write, can you tell me...

Hi Guys, im new in the fórum and in the .NET world, i need to connect the advanced HMI program with a CompactLogix L32E over ethernet, i have try both Ethernet drivers in the program and still cannot conect it, can somebody tell me what am i doing wrong or the steps to follow?, i have done as it says in the quick start

Many Thanks
You will use the EthernetIPforCLXCom driver. You should only have to set the IP address in the properties of the driver and make sure Slot is 0.

Hey Archie great program, have another question, what component of the program can i use to write numbers or strings to the plc, because i made some test and only could read not write, can you tell me...

thanks

You can use the basic label to write numbers to the PLC. Just put the tag you want to write to in the "PLCAddressKeypad" property. When you click the label, a keypad will pop up.

If you want to write a string, I think you will have to use a text box and a button. When you've added both to the form, double click the button and use something like this:

Code:
EthernetIPforCLXCom1.Write("PLCTagHere", TextBox1.Text)

This will write the text in your textbox to the PLC tag you entered.

Hey guys, im triying to save some data that i read from the plc into an Access database, but i could not find the way to the program that when the Bit "B1"( a boolean) make that acction, do you have any sugestions?
i tried the routine of saving with a button and it worked fine, automatic is my problem

Thanks

Although I have not used it myself, I think the DataSubscriber object is what you would want to use (it's DataChanged event). Then you could use an "IF" statement to decide what to do when the bit is true.

Hello, i have been using the program and sometimes i got and error in the EthernetIPforCLXCom routine in the write section, attached picture of the error, the odd about this is that normaly appears the first time i run the program, eventually it runs fine, does anybody knows anything about it??

Advanced HMI Error.jpg

Last edited:
Any time you do a read or write in code, be sure to wrap it in a Try-Catch block like this:
Code:
Try
 EthernetIPforCLXCom1.Write("PLCTagHere", TextBox1.Text)
catch ex as exception
  MsgBox ex.message
End Try
You can also put a Try-Catch block around the code that throws the exception and put a break point on the line after the catch. This will then allow you to see what PLC Address it is trying to write to. From the message, it appears to writing a blank value to an INT or DINT tag

Hello Guys, have a question, how can i make 2 advanced hmi programs run in the same pc?, this is because i have 2 different applications that needs to be running in the same pc, i am using the EthernetIPforCLXCom driver for communications, and some labels, try to run the 2 programs but the last will not run, thanks

Last edited:
You have to go to your project properties (right click on your project in the solution explorer) and uncheck "Make single instance application".