Advanced Networking Help

The Plc Kid

Guys i am in neede of some very advanced networking advice.

I have a system with contrologix cpu,enbt,panelview +,Versaview Panel PC,flex I/O,point I/O,Etc.

The ip range is 10.10.1.0 - 10.10.1.60

I need to run a background application on one of the versaview PC that needs a constant internet connection over wireless.

The versaview has 2 ethernet ports and we use 1 currently and the other is disabled. I have ultra VNC for remote connection to the versaview.

I need to make the second nic a different IP range to connect to the internet but i need to get the application in question and internet explorer binded to this second nic with FT view still binded to port 1.

How can this be done. i have everything connected and communicating but ie and all other programs want to go to nic 1 if i change the priority to nic 2 then ie works but the FT View app will not as it's gateway is thru nic 1.

Help.

I have a similar setup on my laptop and I don't seem to have any issues with it. Mine is configure so that the fixed IP NIC has NO default gateway. Give that a try.

Good Luck!

Which operating system are you running on the VersaView PC ?

Are you running FTView Server, or Client, or Standalone on this PC ?

FactoryTalk View will always use the first network interface listed in the Network Connections -> Advanced -> Advanced Settings -> Connections list.

Is that where you changed the "priority" of the NIC cards ?

I know that RSLinx Classic's EtherNet/IP driver can be bound to a specific NIC, but I don't know about the FTView Client or RSLinx Enterprise.

Which operating system are you running on the VersaView PC ? XP

Are you running FTView Server, or Client, or Standalone on this PC ? SE Station

FactoryTalk View will always use the first network interface listed in the Network Connections -> Advanced -> Advanced Settings -> Connections list.

Is that where you changed the "priority" of the NIC cards ? That is where i planned to do it yes.

I know that RSLinx Classic's EtherNet/IP driver can be bound to a specific NIC, but I don't know about the FTView Client or RSLinx Enterprise.

Thanks for the replies guy's

Since you are running FTView SE Station, we don't have to worry about the IIS and other FT services between the Client and Server like we would with an SE Distributed system. We just have to get RSLinx Enterprise bound to a specific NIC or specific IP address.

One more question on your system; is the FTView SE Station computer on the same IP subnet as the controller(s) it is communicating with, or are they on a different subnet that requires traffic to go through a gateway or router ?

One reminder, Windows does not like having multiple Gateway addresses assigned. So make sure you aren't trying to put a GW on both cards.

As Christoff84 pointed out you can use the route command to specify Static routes on the interface that does not have a GW assigned.

For example, If you have 2 NICs, One in the non-routable range 10.10.1.x w/ a mask of 255.255.255.0 and no gw, another in the range of say.. 212.43.123.x(totally made up, not sure who owns this range but whatever) with a mask of 255.255.255.0 and a gw 212.43.123.1 that does not know how to route to 10.10.x address'.

If you wanted to talk from this computer to any address in the 212.43.123.x range knows about, you need to do nothing else. Windows will ask the GW and off it will go.
If you wanted to talk from this computer to any address in the 10.10.1.x range, again, no problem that's a local subnet to the computer.
However, trying to talk to 10.10.2.x for example, Windows has no idea how to get here.
Now, say there IS a 10.10.1.1 GW that can direct traffic around your process network? simply use the route command to define a static route telling windows that for that specific address range(10.10.2.x) you want to use a different GW. "route -p ADD 10.10.2.0 MASK 255.255.255.0 10.10.1.1"

Well that's only a problem for incoming traffic(ie running a server on that computer, as the server might bind to the wrong IP). For outgoing traffic, the routing table should correctly direct traffic. Can you provide the output of the following command from a cmd prompt?
"route print"
*(Assuming your IP ranges are not restricted information!)*

Isn't it possible in the 8300 to do this, given that it supports layer 3?

I assume you're using a 3rd party wap?