Altivar 320 3 Hp - Maximum current of the drive’s 24 vdc power supply

Rob S.

Good Evening ,

One more question about the Altivar 320 3 Hp . I would like to use the drive’s
24 vdc power supply to energize a 24 vdc contactor . Do you think that a contactor would be too much for that power supply ?

Thanks so much .

Yes. It probably will be too much. Even if it isn't too much the noise from the inductive kick from the starter coil shouldn't be allowed to get into your drive. DC coils should all have flyback diodes to take care of the inductive kick.

Din rail mounted DC power supplies are inexpensive and they provide isolation. For best results I use lots of them. PLC CPUs, network switches, 4-20 ma stuff, and inductive stuff (coils) should all get separate supplies. The accountant that hollers about the cost of the supplies won't be around when a short circuit somewhere causes way too much trouble because you didn't use enough power supplies.

Most of those on-board power supplies are rated maybe 100mA, sometimes less.

For this drive, here are the specs:

+24 Digital input power
supply
I/O +24 Vdc input supply
 Tolerance: –15...+20 %
 Current: 100 mA