Another High Paying Position

CaseyK

In the cornfields, on the prarie, outside Chi-Town
Just saw this post on a major "Career" board...

There had been a $14.50 per hour BSEE job floating around Bloomington-Normal, but this one seems more technical...

Any Takers? Name masked to avoid any possible conflicts, but available if you PM me.

"WELL KNOWN RECRUITING COMPANY" is seeking a Design Engineer for a position in Pekin, Illinois. Qualified candidates will have experience in operating current Auto Desk's Auto Cad software. A working knowledge of Inventor preferred. Must have the ability to detail drawings, maintain files and update the system. A 2 to 4 year degree in mechanical engineering is preferred. Must be able to lift 50 pounds. The starting wage for this position will be $10.00 per hour and up depending upon experience.

Job Title: Design Engineer
Primary Skills: Industrial; Auto Cad
Job Industry: Manufacturing
Vacancies: 1
Job City: Pekin
Job Metro Area: Pekin
Job State: IL
Job Country: US
Salary: $10.00/HOURLY To $10.00/HOURLY
Hours per Week: 40
Start Date: ASAP
Job Duration: Contract to Direct
Detailed Job Duration: NA
Degree Type: AS
Degree Area: Mechanical Engineering
Experience Minimum: 2 Years
Certificates/Licenses:

Examine Your Career Options! With over 250 worldwide offices, "WELL KNOWN RECRUITING COMPANY" gives you an excellent opportunity to choose your career path and customize your work experience. To help you meet your career goals, we offer a wide range of free IT and business training online through our Global Learning Center. We provide other exceptional benefits to our employees including medical and life insurance, holiday and vacation pay, 401K, and a stock purchase plan (in most locations). Servicing over 95% of the Fortune 500 companies enables us to offer you a full range of placement options including contract, direct and contract-to-hire.

SO, if we add PLC programming experience, can we bump this up to, say, $10.25 or $10.30 an hour???

Remember, Pekin is just down the river from Peoria, home of a gambling boat and the World Reknown "Big Al's".

DICLAIMER: I have never been to either.

regards.....casey

BTW: Job also still open in Pekin for Delta V!

Last edited:
I think this just points out the consequences of 'grade inflation' and the fallacy behind the assumption that if a college education is the ticket to a well-paying job, then everybody should get a college education.

A generation ago, the job in Casey's post would probably have been done by a high school graduate. Now they're looking for at least a two-year degree.

That seems to imply that it now takes fourteen years to get a person to the educational level formerly achieved in twelve years. It further implies that either teachers are less competent than they used to be or that parents no longer hold their kids to the same standards of performance as they did in the past.

$10-00 an hr, you could make more mowing lawns.
We have to pay a minimum of $30 an hr to get a good industrial electrician.
More if they have PLC experience.
Regards Alan Case

A BSEE with two years of experience for $20,800 a year!

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuwaaaaawww hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah!

Those guys are up in the night. It noticed it starts as contract (read as no benifits.)

Steve Bailey said:
That seems to imply that it now takes fourteen years to get a person to the educational level formerly achieved in twelve years.

If the number of students looking for free homework answers on the internet is any indicater, that's an accurate assumption.

O My God, that just pathetic, they are hiring here in the oil patch for laborers at $40.00 per hour Canadian. I think that would work out to about $34.00 per hour US. Laborers are just that, strong back weak mind people. Even where I am, someone with half a brain and a degree in engineering or mechanical experience will get $23-$26 per hour.

Those people with that add must be smoking something. Are things really that bad in the States, that someone with an engineering degree would have to settle for something like that?

Willpower

There are plenty of opportunities here.

willpower100 said:
Are things really that bad in the States, that someone with an engineering degree would have to settle for something like that?
Willpower

Certainly not. I have seen college grads right out of college start their own companies and compete with the big boys. No one needs to work for a fool like the guy who issued the add CaseK is talking about. Companies run by fools fade away. I think it is important to make yourself a world class person and find others of the same caliber if you want success.

One can always start their own company.

Willpower, I know that sawmills, hydraulics and PLCs are important to you. Look around in the the sawmills in BC. Who makes almost all those hydraulic motion controllers? :)

Just like MAs, it's less & less about the system you were trained under, and more & more about the individual themselves. This isn't to undermine education in any way shape or form, as I'm a 2nd year EE student with an associate's in electrical automation.

Alan Case said:
$10-00 an hr, you could make more mowing lawns.

The supply house automation guru where I learned GE programming 10 years ago told me last week that 75%of the EE's he did business with back then have left the industry, and that half of them now DO cut grass.

Don't need engineers, need lots of landscapers, etc.

The thing about $10 an hour, was that 6 years ago, basic drafting skills was commanding $18 and hour.

In 1989, a local manufacturer hired several contract draftsmen, and the wages were $10, $12, $14, $19, and a retired GE engineer who drafted at $25. And this was all on a board, not CAD.

I love progress.

regards.....casey

willpower100 said:
Uhh, Rexroth? Ha, Ha, Ha, Peter, just kidding. We all bow to the Delta God here.
Will

Not God. We paid our dues. Our tribal knowledge is great only because we have survived this long and have not failed the school of hard knocks ( you never graduate from this school). We have been at this for over 20 years.

Here is a prediction.
http://www.joescan.com/
These guys will dominate the wood scanner business or maybe just the scanner business in general. I know the founder. I failed to hire him right out of college ( my mistake ) so he started his own company right out of college. I sure you will see his scanners soon. I am sure he will pay his dues like we did, but this guy is smart and will prevail. BTW, he is using the same processor we are for scanning that we are in our new motion controller. It must be those 'engineering' meetings where we exchange ideas at a local bar. Perhaps we will work out a way to coordinate the motion with the scanning. Who knows :)

The point is that there young guys are going to kick butt and are competing against bigger and more established scanner companies that don't see the need to synchronize the scanning with the motion.

There are similar opportunities in many areas.

Peter, I beg to differ, its been almost 20 years since I signed the dotted line. My school of hard knocks then was inside a 76mm gun in sea state 4 trying to extract a damaged live round and thinking, "Hmm, now how did the logic work on this thing again, trip the prox switch and the valve opens, accumulator fires, and these swing arms cut off my arms. Or has the accumulator dumped already????" Italians, Otto-Malara, make good guns but not exactly the safest things to work on.

Hey what was that guys name again, do you have a link to his website? Giggle.

Will