Another High Paying Position

Hi Willpower, I read Peters comment and I first thought it was a bit harsh "you never graduate from this school"
I re read it and saw that it was not personally directed at you. I assume he meant that you as in all of us never graduate from the school of hard knocks, some of us just dont fail it.
If I am wrong in Peters assumptions I apologise to all including Peter.
Regards Alan Case

Pekin is 60-75 miles south of me, across the river from Peoria. It should be a higher paying area. Local, Three electrician/electronics tech positions advertise $18.20, $18-24.., and $19.82. All three have been advertising for over two years. There are also several companies advertising $8.50-9.00 for electricians, and they get them. Local AB Shop has a programmer, 3 years out of junior college, making $40K a year, with OT, who is looking. Local construction pays $8-10.00, sometimes up to 12 or 14, with NO benefits. Your benefit is you get a paycheck.

Part of problem, unions broke the area, manufacturers left. lots of jobs at the mall, with more opening daily!

As I said...progress!

regards.....kc

CaseyK said:
Pekin is 60-75 miles south of me, across the river from Peoria. It should be a higher paying area. Local, Three electrician/electronics tech positions advertise $18.20, $18-24.., and $19.82. All three have been advertising for over two years. There are also several companies advertising $8.50-9.00 for electricians, and they get them. Local AB Shop has a programmer, 3 years out of junior college, making $40K a year, with OT, who is looking. Local construction pays $8-10.00, sometimes up to 12 or 14, with NO benefits. Your benefit is you get a paycheck.

Part of problem, unions broke the area, manufacturers left. lots of jobs at the mall, with more opening daily!

As I said...progress!

regards.....kc

This is a tragedy. How does one even go about fixing something this broken?

Alan, I didn't take offence to Peter's comment, I have know him for a while. I just can't believe that jobs pay so poorly down there. They can't find people fast enough up here. A lot of places have resorted to paying signing bonus's of $6,000 to $10,000 just to get people to hire on.

Myself, when I go up north, its a really good contract rate even if I dont take my rig and just get on a plane without any tools. Mind you I am cross trained, Hydraulic, Mechanical/Millwright, and PLC programming. It does tend to get pretty cold, -40, but I can live with that.

Will

Will
Its the same here except for the cold. There is a real skill shortage. We have more work than tradesman to do it.
Alan

Good for anyone in trades right now. I cant really see it changing much in the next few years either. Most big outfits, Pulp Mills, large plants, etc, have not had anyone starting apprentiships and suddenly realized that 65% of the workforce will retire in 8 years or so. In places where oil and gas is booming, this is a real problem. The Big Oil companies keep anouncing expansions and new construction to the tune of 100's of Billions, but they are having a real problem completing jobs because of manpower problems.

Twice in the last 2 weeks I have had the opportunity to go up there, I named my price and they said okay. I thought that would scare them off but it didn't. I had other commitments so I couldnt go.

here is another great high paying position in Russia - SIEMENS and Shcneider Electric PLC's programming engeneer is needed. Salary is $300 per month... so it's $3600/year. 40 hours/week... $1.8 hourly.. wow

Pay scales like that are a big reason why young people aren't going into industrial trades much anymore. 2 years of college, plus several more years of experience, for what?? $10/hour. Young people who are smart and ambitious aren't going to waste their time on something that pays similar to fast food or retail.

This is funny

My wife works in a fast food/pizza joint, she makes more than $10 an hr....gives a whole new meaning to "would you like fries with that?"

Are things that much different here? I pay a guy $20.00 per hour just to help me out once in a while. He has no training, and no mechanical aptitude, but he doesn't mind getting dirty. I have more work than I can handle, I need more people, as long as they don't mind getting oil on their hands.

I do programming, but I also do hydraulics and millwrighting, I need to find someone like me that can do the same things I do.

It seems people will settle for the $8.00 per hour fast food job over getting a bit of dirt on their hands and making much better money. I don't understand it.

Willpower

Still Another Fantastic Offer

Copied in part from careerpath/careerbuilder

Position has been advertised extensively in Peoria and Blooming papers with no wages mentioned. Position involves building, rebuildind etc of overhead cranes.

Base Pay: $12,000-16,000 per year
Industry: Managed Care
Manages Others: No
Job Tyoe: Engineering, Skilled Labor - Trades
Education Required: None
Required Experience: 1 Year

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX is currently seeking an Electrician. Successful candidates will need to be able to read and understand schematics and wiring diagrams, mount and wire overhead controls, run conduit, wire 3-phase motors and various fabrication and assembly. Experience with magnetic controls, inverter controls and remote controls necessary.

This position is full time contract to perm and located in Eureka, IL. Benefits package included.

So, you to can be a electrition with no education and one year experience starting out for over 50 cents an hour below minimum wage.

So, who all is gonna get in line to apply for this one?

Eureka, college home of President Ronald Reagan. A nice place to visit, but watch your speed when passing through town. If you blink, you'll miss it. But Barney Fife won't miss you!

Now, if you want $18-24 an hour, like 12 hour shifts, alternating between days and nights, like a high turn over environment, in a 5 year old plant (READ: HOLE!), e-mail me. Local plant has NOT been able to fill position for two plus years. Currently FOUR ads running on careerbuilder under different titles and company names.

What can you say when the locals walk away from $24 an hour, when over half the electricians in the area make less than half that???

Meanwhile, back in New Jersey.....

Last edited: