Anybody used a Rexroth HACD with Devicenet?

agarb

I have a CompactLogix with a devicenet scanner connected to a Rexroth HACD card. I am unable to get it properly configured and the data mapped into the PLC. Does anybody have any experience with the HACD and Devicenet? An example application would be great. I was able to use an explicit message to read one of the HACD values, so I believe that my big hurdle is getting things mapped properly. I'd rather not use a bunch of explicit messages, but I don't have a whole lot of time, so I may need to.

I'm using a Rexroth-provided EDS file.

I've added the HACD to the scanlist and automapped the data. The HACD allows you to pick what parameters are included in what they call the "Transmit Buffer", so to keep it simple, I've picked a single, 4 byte parameter. The parameter is called CON1 in the HACD. CON1 is mapped to Local:5:0.Data[0]. In my PLC, Local:5:0.Data[0] shows a very large value that never changes - even when I change the CON1 in the HACD. If I open RSNetworx, and look at the parameters for the HACD, I can see the value for CON1 changing. The explict message sent from my PLC also retrieves the correct value for CON1 that matches what is displayed in RSNetworx.

I mentioned that Local:5:0.Data[0] shows a very large value that never changes. If I manually enter a zero, it changes for a brief instant and is then overwritten by the very same large value. Obviously, it is coming from somewhere but I have no idea where or what it represents.

I've never used the HACD card, but how do you have the information setup? Polled, COS, cyclic? Did you cycle power to the DNet card after downloading the scanlist. Just some issues i've had in the past with other devicenet modules being flaky.

ndzied1 said:
Have you tried this manual?

http://www.boschrexroth.com/Rexroth-IHD/Home.cfm?Page=RDSearch&Filter=30143

I've never done it but it has a step by step process for setting it up in BODAC and RSNetworks.

That link takes me to a big list of files, but if you mean RE 30143-03-Z/08.07, then yes, I've downloaded and printed it out. Unfortunately, it is incomplete. It does not show any of the scanner mapping. Nor does it tell you what to do when things don't match what you expect. :)

I've asked Rexroth for actual example files, but it seems the person that is best able to help me (Pete) is on vacation until around the 20th.

If I remember correctly, you work for a Rexroth distributor?

LJBMatt said:
I've never used the HACD card, but how do you have the information setup? Polled, COS, cyclic? Did you cycle power to the DNet card after downloading the scanlist. Just some issues i've had in the past with other devicenet modules being flaky.

It is polled data. Power cycled multiple times.

Just to be detailed:

Local:5:I.Data[0] should contain the Input data from the HACD.

Local:5:O.Data[0] has the Output data you are sending to the HACD.

Are there any other devices on the DeviceNet network that are working correctly ?

If you could post a link to the EDS file that would be another step.

Ken Roach said:
Just to be detailed:

Local:5:I.Data[0] should contain the Input data from the HACD.

Local:5:O.Data[0] has the Output data you are sending to the HACD.

Are there any other devices on the DeviceNet network that are working correctly ?

If you could post a link to the EDS file that would be another step.

Ooops, I made a typo in my PLC address. I am actually looking at Local:5:I.Data[0] for the input data and not Local:5:O.Data[0] as I originally wrote. I'll attach the EDS file to a new message.

This parameter called "Bus Trigger" looks interesting. In the User Manual it's shown as the Output data (Logix -> HACD).

Each of the 32 bits in the "Bus Trigger" bit array is labeled with a Block number: bit 0 = Block 1, bit 1 =Block 2, etc.

The User Manual doesn't say much more. Maybe you have to set one or more of those bits to activate the data transfer from the HACD ?

The HACD uses a, sort of, function block approach to control flow. Without a bus, a block needs to be triggered with a hardwired input. (Actually, the first block in a chain of blocks needs to be triggered from a hardwired input. Subsequent blocks can be triggered when a previous block finishes it's task or some other criteria is met).

When the card is connected to a bus, this triggering can be done over the bus.

Thanks for the explanation, Norm. That's obviously not the reason he's not getting Input data.

agarb, what is that "very large number" you're seeing in the Input data table of the Logix controller ? It's clearly coming from the 1769-SDN Input data table, but I don't know what it represents.

If you can post your *.DNT file from RSNetworx and your *.ACD file from RSLogix 5000, that would help rule out configuration errors.

To verify that your DeviceNet scanner is working, make sure that you have no diagnostic values flashing on the 1769-SDN display, and be sure that the Scan Counter in the Status part of the Local:5:I.xx tag structure is incrementing.

Just an idea

Have you looked for a Profibus example? I have found that most of the bus systems have the same types of config for most devices. For example: I connected to a Yamaha robot over profibus. Their Profibus example was very poor. However when I looked at the Devicenet example it had a lot more detail and I was able to figure out what I needed. BR being a German company should have better documentaion and examples for Profibus that could help you see how the data tables should be made and how the commands work over a network.