Attn: Canadian IP Electricians looking for work

Yes that really helps, have you tried the other approach like teaching them?

I have but one thing to say, sometimes an idiot is just that and they cant be trained.

Take for instance a machine that I was responsible for. It had a lot of pneumatics and sensors on it. Well there was one sensor that was a key for the one station to operate properly. This sensor was very touchey not only for it brand but also for the material it was sensing. I had written up a strick set of guidelines for this sensor and for the somewhat lame also included very nice pics. It was simple yet very effective. One morning I came into work and was greeted by mgmt the machine in question had been down for 3 hours and two mechanics were working on it. I went down immediately to assess the problem, well you guessed it they were messing with this sensor. They changed it from LO to DO, messed with the gains and delay timers, and on top of all that changed the angle of the sensor. Within 15min of my arrival I used the jig we had made up for the angle, changed it back to LO and reset the timers and the gains, all using my proceedures. It ran the rest of the day without any problems whatso ever. And these two maintenance people did received the manual and also instruction on this because they had to sign off that they received and understood.

Mort
Oh yes they signed off and satisfied the Paper God. Whoopedo so what? Did they do a demonstrated competency test? Did they pass? Your training leaves a lot to be desired.

The way we handled training on a submarine was when you declared your trainee qualified and competent he relieved you. The ultimate test was if you were able to sleep soundly while your trainee (whom you said was ready) had the watch.

Dan Bentler

As a matter of fact they did do a competancy training on a simulated trainer. Not only under myself but also under the department supervisor. They demonstrated that they knew and understood the material. And like I said they were given manuals with step by step and photos. So why did they not follow the proceedures and training? I dont know.

When I was 2nd in command at the facility any changes had to be properly documented, training sessions given, compentancy test given, then they were allowed to work on a machine. However even when they made major screw ups nothing ever happened. There was no write up, no verbal reprimands, it was just swept under the carpet and we moved on. I am sure on your sub adventures if someone showed compentancy, then screwed something up, some one would chew their butt off. Am I right?

Mort
Oh yes they signed off and satisfied the Paper God. Whoopedo so what? Did they do a demonstrated competency test? Did they pass? Your training leaves a lot to be desired.

The way we handled training on a submarine was when you declared your trainee qualified and competent he relieved you. The ultimate test was if you were able to sleep soundly while your trainee (whom you said was ready) had the watch.

Dan Bentler

Depended on the severity of the foulup. For sure someone heard about it. Either the trainer or the trainee unless it was an honest mistake. If honest mistake generally embarrasment and a never ending razzing by rest of crew took care of that.
Example Auxiliaryman was going to work on diesel generator. Tagout included the output breaker. So he put the breaker in the shut position. He then called us up asking why there was a bang and flash and why did the engine roll over? After that we made sure that we either did the disconnects on either side of the breaker for them (which is what should have been done) or explained to their weariness that you shut VALVES and open BREAKERS. We may have given them a bad time if they called to ask us to check a breaker for them on tagouts but we sure went to help them - we had to fix it not them.

Just for trivia
on lockout tagout can you lock a valve or manway open and under what criteria?

Dan Bentler

Last edited:
Hey guys! I really had a good laugh with the above posts... But also made me think deeper... Yeah, every person dealing with Electricity should be made aware of the hazards it can cause if not dealt with properly and safely, and that should be foremost in every one's mind..

Just for trivia
on lockout tagout can you lock a valve or manway open and under what criteria?

Dan Bentler

You bet, in the natural gas industry when pipelines,vessels are blown down inlet values are closed and lock, blowdown values are opened and locked open. When someone enters a vessel thru a manway you make sure it doesn't get closed behind him/her, you lock it open or remove it..

Dont you have "man on the hatch" also? In here if someone goes work inside closed tank or similar, there must be one man at wach on the manway..

While a good idea and good practice ie two man rule, man on hatch is not required in all cases. Examples where needed are where retrieval rig is needed, or for decontamination assist with suitup or tool fetch.

Think of it this way if it is so dangerous you need a second guy on hatch then why are you going in there and
WHY are you not reducing the hazard?

This does not apply to rescue or fire fighting but even in those circumstances Fire Response is required to ensure safety of their crew first.

Dan Bentler

Toronto

Hey you Canuks, don't be so quick to complain about us yanks. There is enough stupidity to go around.
Recently while doing an install in downtown Toronto I blew a breaker when I plugged in a trouble light. The sparky guy got his aluminum ladder, put it in a puddle of water, reached up into the ceiling and unscrewed a bunch of wire nuts. At that point I made a run for Tim Horton's next door 'cause I wasn't about to do mouth to mouth on a still smoking Paki.
When I got back everything was buttoned up and looked nice and safe. After that I used a flashlight and ran my laptop on the battery.

Hey you Canuks, don't be so quick to complain about us yanks. There is enough stupidity to go around.
Recently while doing an install in downtown Toronto I blew a breaker when I plugged in a trouble light. The sparky guy got his aluminum ladder, put it in a puddle of water, reached up into the ceiling and unscrewed a bunch of wire nuts. At that point I made a run for Tim Horton's next door 'cause I wasn't about to do mouth to mouth on a still smoking Paki.
When I got back everything was buttoned up and looked nice and safe. After that I used a flashlight and ran my laptop on the battery.

I dont think this forum really needs racist comments