ATTN Mr Melrose

Phil Melore said:
Hi Dan,

I think ozee said it best above as it applies to many topics. We'd end up with 100+ stickies...
Granted the search function does need some improvement though :whistle:

Enjoy,

Phil ie MR MELORE (I think I got it right this time) Sorry about that. Seems like when I get a name wrong its like that battery it keeps goin,,,

Anyway I agree with Ozee also. I thought and proposed another strategy. Thanks for responding

Dan

I vote for the FAQ section of this board. It happened more than once I was unable to find stuff I was sure I read it here long time ago....

Pandiani said:
I vote for the FAQ section of this board. It happened more than once I was unable to find stuff I was sure I read it here long time ago....

Phil uhhh Mr Melore (I think I got it right)

Pandianni has supplied both of us with a better term for the concept I was proposing.

Dan

Pandiani

FAQs require a lot of time and work. Who is going to pay Mr. Melore for that effort?
The search function sometimes does leave something to be desired but overall I think this is a great site and resource and Mr. Melore is to be commended.

I think in part
the members would write them - Phil would post them.
That would cut the work to some extent.

If I did not think this was a good site I would not suggest idea for improvement.

Dan Bentler

WOW! Like I said earlier this is a great site. Every day I get on and learn something and here is a big one.

Thanks

gas said:
Pandiani

FAQs require a lot of time and work. Who is going to pay Mr. Melore for that effort?
The search function sometimes does leave something to be desired but overall I think this is a great site and resource and Mr. Melore is to be commended.

Well, how about to make one more section that would contain a couple of threads sticky... Of course members will provide answers...
Something like this!

Google search is a cool thing, I must agree...

Last edited:
We should almost have a different section "how to google/search including the boolean expressions used to narrow a search

I used to mod a forum with something similar to what Pandiani posted, I guess. Some computer tech-supp stuff. Most of it we wrote ourselves for our own use, but made it available to whoever wanted it.

It ~might~ work -- but people would have to search. Regardless of how much info is there, it does no good without their looking for it. And it's obvious that nobody really searches (even without bringing in the worthiness of qanda's search function)

Maybe a "welcome" email to new subscribers with instructions about a FAQ section and how to search. And somehow tie a confirmation that they've at least received the instructions before they can post. And perhaps a reminder to search and a link to search instructions and the faq section before allowing a new thread to be opened by someone with <(some arbitrary number) of posts. (E.g., on that forum where I modded, we wouldn't allow anyone to post in the off-topic section until they had >50 posts elsewhere...) I just don't know what the capabilities of qanda are without mod access...

We can certainly add another section to the forum.

Currently there's announcements (hasn't been used in years), the main section, practice and the archives. Archives are gone so it can be removed. FAQ can replace it.
Post a list of forum threads (the url's) 'worthy' of the FAQ and I'll start to copy them there when we get enough of them. Fair enough??

There is a FAQ link on the mid toolbar but it's just a generic one regarding basic use of the forum.

I'll re-investigate improving the search too. I also find it frustrating to find older posts on here... and most other sql based forums. Google's an option but there should be a better way...

It's a good time for improving the forum as it's been a while since things have changed... outside of the constant security tweaks to limit the spam bots. So, if any other ideas feel free to post them. Nothing's 'impossible'.

And by the way, Mr. Melore was my dad... I'm just Phil (y)

Enjoy,