Automatic OS update of operator panel

Hi,

I get an error message "version on your device is not compatible with WinCC Flexible"
I know i have to update the OS, and i found a document which instructs how to do it manually.

After i acknowledge the error. WinCC flex asks me if i want to update the OS.

If i click Yes will it take me to the step where i have to backup the project from HMI?

Thanks
Liston

It will not automatically backup the HMI, it will go straight to updating the OS (which deletes the current HMI project). The assumption when you are updating OS is that you plan to download a new project, so no reason to backup.

Thank you mk42.
So I have a situation where I don't have a backup of the HMI project.

I have attached the screenshot of the pdf document that I am referring to on how to update the OS.

So according to the manual procedure I have to backup using Prosave.
If I have OS compatibility issue will I still be able to do the backup using Prosave?

Thanks
Liston

Screenshot_2020-06-11-19-00-54-338_cn.wps.xiaomi.abroad.lite.jpg

Last edited:
Prosave should make a backup of the project regardless, however, It's been some time since I have used these so not sure if you can restore the project back onto an updated OS, there may be compatibility problems I would wait before updating, hopefully there will be people who are more experienced than me to give you answers.

Agreed, I wouldn't expect a backup from one OS version to be usable with a new OS version.

Lets take a step back. Why are you trying to update the OS on a panel that is currently working, and for which you don't have a project? I'm not saying it's a dumb choice, it just seems like a lot of hassle without an obvious purpose.

Agreed, I wouldn't expect a backup from one OS version to be usable with a new OS version.

Lets take a step back. Why are you trying to update the OS on a panel that is currently working, and for which you don't have a project? I'm not saying it's a dumb choice, it just seems like a lot of hassle without an obvious purpose.

So I want to change a few tags in the original project because of which I was trying to backtransfer the project from HMI to my laptop do the changes and transfer it back again.

Also I'm assuming that the backtransfer was enabled during the initial transfer because I have some old revisions of the project and there are .pdz files. Hope I'm right.

Also I'm assuming that the backtransfer was enabled during the initial transfer because I have some old revisions of the project and there are .pdz files. Hope I'm right.
I think that you can change the .pdz to. .zip and then unzip the file which should give you the .hmi and .ldb files.

edit: Also as sigmadelta asks, exactly what type is the panel.

Which version of WinCC flexible did you try to upload with?

What version of OS is on the panel? I think the easiest way to get this is to boot up the panel and watch what version number(s) display temporarily while booting up. Maybe even make a video clip.

Which version of WinCC flexible did you try to upload with?

What version of OS is on the panel? I think the easiest way to get this is to boot up the panel and watch what version number(s) display temporarily while booting up. Maybe even make a video clip.

I don't know the version number of the OS on HMI. But I can find out.

I have WinCC flex 2008 on my laptop and the transfers on the HMI were done using WinCC flex 2005 version.

Yes I figured.

And I also tried searching for the 2005 version but couldn't find any.
It seems that I have to contact siemens to buy the older versions.

Do you know where I could find a trial version?