Back to IEC and looking for guidance

testsubject

Hi all,

I am getting back to using IEC for schematics and was wondering about the 81346-2:2019 codes.

What does everyone use for a diffuse reflective Photoeye? I am thinking BGB (position switch), but BRA might work as well (light sensor).

What does everyone else use?

Thanks in advance!

We use Table 2, which has only 2 letters in the codes. It makes such decisions much easier.
With Table 2 you (and the electricians) have a chance to memorize the codes.
With Table 3 you would have to look up the codes, and that defeats the purpose IMO.
If you go by Table 3, then use BGB.
BGB = "physical dimension sensing object, with boolean output", "position switch".

BRA and BRB would be for detecting light itself, not proximity by light. I.e. for sensing sunlight in a greenhouse.
BRA = "radiation sensing object of visible electromagnetic waves, with scalar output" , "Light sensor"
BRB = "radiation sensing object of visible electromagnetic waves, with boolean output" , "Light detector"

lol, electricians memorising codes ?.
Seen what mess they get in when faultfinding.
I know having a standard is ideal if you know it.
One place I did many projects at had their own which was taught to all engineers, but it was the companies own way of identifying plant items.
It also made sense.
for example take a plant with 3 tanks one was called pickles & spreads
So the plant items were like:
MB75-TK01-V001-OPX
So in effect the plant was MB75 (always had plant ident something to do with bottling section) TK01 The tank on that plant, V001 the Valve & OPX the open sensor & so on. The engineers did not need to really know all the codes as they all knew which plant it was & from then on it was obvious i.e. TK01 so somewhere arounf that tank.
Unfortunately, the program symbols could not be documented like that as the limit was 8 chars but the engineers knew what plant they were working on & had to be shortened to 8 chars, however, the itemised labels on the plant were upto 20 chars.