Backing up Drive on old process (NT4) computer

oildude

Hi, I could use some advice from someone who's worked with NT4 and Wonderware 7.0. (yes...she's OLD!)

I have an old process computer that is running NT4 w/SP3. This computer has W/W 7.0 on it and uses MB+ to interface with a Quantaum 984 PLC.

I DO NOT have any current backup to this. I have Norton Ghost 2003 that I want to put on it so I can Ghost the drive. I downloaded SP6a from the net, and did a trial run on another old computer. The only problem I ran into was I had to upgrade Internet Exploror before Ghost would load and run. (this trial machine didn't have any W/W on it.)

Anyone remember having any problems with WW on NT Sp ugrades?

Thanks

Hi, It's some time since I used WW, but I did use 7.0 some time ago on a project (it was a large job & WW had it's tongue hanging out) but I ghosted it with only one problem & I don't think that was to do with ghost, I had to delete (can't remember the file extensions now) the compiled files, in other words let the scripts & other files re-compile.
I remember we had this problem when copying the WW app from our development system to the on-site ones as well so think it was a problem with ww, don't forget to remove any licences before cloning.

oildude,

You don't have to install Ghost on the computer with Wonderware. I have the same setup as you have there. From the computer that you installed ghost on create a Ghost startup disk. Then shut down the computer you want to image and boot from the floppy. You can then test the image on the "test computer" (start up ghost, and go to Ghost explorer to make sure that you can read the cd/cd's?). Also do an integrity check. If you don't want to do that - swap out the drive from the Wonderware computer and use the Ghost floppy to restore the drive - it is now a backed up drive. Keep in mind -- If you don't get a like computer (same hardware), drive may not be 100% compatible. I'm not a wonderware person, so I prefer to have a like computer. Also, if you keep Ghost on the old computer and backup a different computer, you need 2 licenses for Ghost.
George

Hi, I ghosted a ver6 app the other day, It shouldn't matter what is on the old disk it is the slave when you use ghost you are just doing a copy, try running a newer version of ghost. You could always upgrade to ver 9.5 it is based on tags so if it is a small app it may be cheaper than you may think, I went from ver 7 to 9.5 for about $1200 US that would put you in support as well.
I got the machine to boot of the network then ran ghost to it. Good luck.