Backup/Restore from one PC to another. How ?

How much do you work off office? How big laptop you prefer, do you need battery to last more than two hours of work? What is the burden in maintaining two pc's?
I work 80% in the office. When I travel it is between 2 days and 2 weeks.
2 hours on battery is OK. There will be power outlets for where I have to work.
The burden of 2 PCs is mainly for the IT department. But also the copying back and forth is a chore for us endusers.

There is an additional reason I havent stated before.
With the new TIA portal software I need a beefy PC incl. a large display to work productively. In the past, a scrawny laptop with 15" display was OK, but not in the future.

Sounds as a candidate for me. How much does it cost ?.

Here is a link to the webstore http://buy.storagecraft.com/ShadowProtect-Backup-for-Desktop-Operating-Systems-C18.aspx

Price is 89.95 for a single desktop liscense.

Is that something a noob can figure out ?.

Sure there are tons of tutorials on it. Most IT guys use N Lite. Here are some tutorial links. Your applications will need to be built as add-on's. There are already add-On's made for most popular applications but you will need to roll your own on the automation stuff.

http://www.nliteos.com/

http://teamtutorials.com/windows-tutorials/how-to-make-a-custom-windows-install-w-nlite

http://www.winmatrix.com/forums/ind...oftware-into-your-windows-xp-installation-cd/

[/quote]

I work 80% in the office. When I travel it is between 2 days and 2 weeks.
2 hours on battery is OK. There will be power outlets for where I have to work.

Is it startups mostly where there is not lot of new data made?

The burden of 2 PCs is mainly for the IT department. But also the copying back and forth is a chore for us endusers.

There would not be any burden if IT would setup sync then. But as:

There is an additional reason I havent stated before.
With the new TIA portal software I need a beefy PC incl. a large display to work productively. In the past, a scrawny laptop with 15" display was OK, but not in the future.

Dont forget SSD... (y)

Use Acronis to make a disk image - the image even contains the software licences intact. I do one each week and then if I have a crash I can restore completely in a matter of hours.
Acronis is not even bothered by different disk sizes provided the disk containing the image is big enough.

I would also go for Acronis. I have restored an image to a different hardware in the past with only minor issues. I was able to solve the problems myself, so for most experienced PLC people it should be no problem. Jesper, that's also you I'm mentioning ;).

Kind regards,

You can restore an Acronis ".tib" file to a virtual machine with VMWare vCenter Converter Standalone and it works great. The only thing you have to do is re-activate Windows so keep a copy of the serial number from the sticker on the bottom of the laptop. This makes migration of all the necessary files easier, as well as reducing downtime as you load new programs. It also allows you to keep running programs that are incompatible with Windows 7.

You can also use that same program to clone a physical machine, but everytime that I have done that there have been some driver problems that are known to occur when migrating an OEM version of Windows XP.

You can restore an Acronis ".tib" file to a virtual machine with VMWare vCenter Converter Standalone and it works great. The only thing you have to do is re-activate Windows so keep a copy of the serial number from the sticker on the bottom of the laptop. This makes migration of all the necessary files easier, as well as reducing downtime as you load new programs. It also allows you to keep running programs that are incompatible with Windows 7.

You can also use that same program to clone a physical machine, but everytime that I have done that there have been some driver problems that are known to occur when migrating an OEM version of Windows XP.

Your issue here would be restoring to different hardware. The windows key would not work off the laptop sticker asit would be the oem version. Oem will only activate to that original hardware and can't ever be moved or reactiated on different hardware. To reactivate you would need a retail version key or a corporate version key which does not require activation.

Your issue here would be restoring to different hardware. The windows key would not work off the laptop sticker asit would be the oem version. Oem will only activate to that original hardware and can't ever be moved or reactiated on different hardware. To reactivate you would need a retail version key or a corporate version key which does not require activation.

It actually does work, believe it or not.

IT department has ordered a swanky new laptop with Win7 64 bit and 16 GB RAM.
When I have installed all our standard software, I will try the Storagecraft solution. Will post how it goes.

Jesper,

I think this backup software will satisfy your requirements ! check this link http://account.vembu.com/help/42/beta/sp/PageHelp/bmr-backup-configuration.html
My suggestion is to use this backup software ! Things to have go on this is, this backup software have 30days trial period.

Two things to note !!

Firstly, I guess if you just backup OS drive it is more than enough to boot the new machine with your old machine configuration. Secondly, If you backup disk with some partition drives then you can restore all the partition drives. This will also include "installed software, registry values, special drivers etc"

Have a good time