Barcode Scanner integration with Delta DVP-SX plc

I require to interface a Honeywell 3310g fixed industrial barcode scanner with Delta DVP-SX PLC. The barcode scanner has a RS232 communication port. The data through the scanner will be transmitted as ASCII code on hyperterminal. I want to store the ascii data in a plc data register (D register) and perform some output function based on the data received from the scanner.

How can i read the ascii data from the scanner in the plc data register?

You need check two things.
1) Your PLC needs to have a serial port (RS232).
2) The PLC need to be able to send and receive arbitrary data on the serial port.

Many PLCs have serial ports but can only use them for specified protocols like modbus, profibus etc. Some of them need an additional module for communicating with any serial device such as barcode scanners, weighing instruments etc. Some of them can not do it all.

Thanks for the reply Pete.S.

My PLC does have a RS232(serial port) and the communication is possible through MODBUS to communicate with HMI.

But I have no idea on how to read data from Scanner serial RS232 interface. The scanner manufacturer says the data is output on RS232 in ASCII format which according to him could be easily read by any PLC.

Thanks for the reply Pete.S.

My PLC does have a RS232(serial port) and the communication is possible through MODBUS to communicate with HMI.

But I have no idea on how to read data from Scanner serial RS232 interface. The scanner manufacturer says the data is output on RS232 in ASCII format which according to him could be easily read by any PLC.

I believe the serial port(s) on the DVP-SX only support Modbus and you need to be able to process raw Ascii. I would contact the factory and see if they have a solution.