Beginner: Old DDE-server on windows vista ?

I have no PLC experience and very little knowledge of PLC, but my background is a programmer in mainly java.
At my new job, I have an assignment to retrieve live data from a PLC.

The setup is a tropical zoo, where a 'priva' PLC controls the climate inside the zoo. The PLC is conneted to the ethernet network.

I like to retrve live climate data from the PLC. My company have a licens to a DDE-server on an old win98 computer.
The DDE-server can retrive live data from the PLC to an excel-spreadsheet.

The old win98 machine has been in storage for years, but I found the old win98 computer and hooked it up, and the DDE-server export to excel still works on that computer. In theory I could use the old PC, but I would like to work with it on a new computer i.e. Windows vista or windows 7...

If I copy the DDE-server to my windows vista machine and try to start it up, it does start up, but it does not export data to excel. I suspect it is because the DDE server uses outdated windows system-files.

Any idea how to retrieve the PLC data on my Windows vista pc?
Is there a way to just connect to a PLC