Beware of Digi

Can you put in an older firmware rev. that you know was working before?

I don't know of any such firmware. While I've used other Digi products in the past, 2019 (this one customer site) is the first time I used the Digi One IAP. While I don't know the history of the device and it's firmware, I've never had one that is known to work when one of the slave devices is no longer available on the network. Our previous 5 installations on this site only had one Modbus slave device so we had no way of knowing it wasn't working when the one device went offline.

I’m a Modbus guy, not an Ethernet/IP guy.

Supposing there was no protocol conversion, just an EIP network. What is the EIP protocol’s action/response to a msg sent to an off-line device ?

+1 this is a brilliant product and easy to use.

it just works......

Thanks, I'm interested in seeing how it works. In Digi's defense, their product is very easy to use. I had the first Modbus device communicating in about 20 minutes, and that included me reading through their ~15 page app note so I understood the device. It works as-described, but obviously has a bug. Everybody makes mistakes (I certainly do!), but the expectation is that you respond and correct them. Their issue is bad management, or at the very least a lack of awareness of the expectations of the consumers in their market niche.

I’m a Modbus guy, not an Ethernet/IP guy.

Supposing there was no protocol conversion, just an EIP network. What is the EIP protocol’s action/response to a msg sent to an off-line device ?
The Digi is designed to communicate to Modbus slaves using Message Blocks (MSG) in Logix (requires a little ladder programming in the PLC, but very simple). It utilizes SLC type read and writes. The MSG block will timeout if the slave device does not respond. I would have to look to see if I recorded the exact error code, but would not be surprised if it was the generic 16#0204 (no connection).

BAJ, sorry for your ordeal. If any of us sent this post to Digi, maybe someone in their management will take action so someone moves his arse. They just seem to not want to invest money in the fix, so the smart thing would be to help them perceive the opportunity cost they may face for not doing such investment. Depending to the reactions of my post I may take the time to try to illuminate them.

BAJ, sorry for your ordeal. If any of us sent this post to Digi, maybe someone in their management will take action so someone moves his arse. They just seem to not want to invest money in the fix, so the smart thing would be to help them perceive the opportunity cost they may face for not doing such investment. Depending to the reactions of my post I may take the time to try to illuminate them.

It may be worth a shot. Depends on how big Digi is and how arrogant their management is. I watched one of my best customers get driven into oblivion by bad management, bad decision after bad decision. The top dog(s) couldn't see it and wouldn't take any feedback from those underneath them.

But money talks. If Digi sales slump someone might recognize the need for change. The loss of my business won't make or break them.

Just sent him this them this note. let's see what happens. Will post here any reply I get.

The below post in the PLCS.net forum regarding Digi product got my attention:

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?p=836453#poststop

Please note the PLCS.net forum has a significant number of professional PLC programmers who work for engineering companies, machine builders and manufacturers who use PLCs in significant quantities.

I regard highly the opinions of most of the members including the opinion of the person who wrote this unflattering post about your product. Judging from the answer your tech support rep provided to the author of the post I am not sure what effect this e-mail can have, but I thought I have the duty to inform you that I will not be entertaining recommending my customers the use of your gateways until I read from this person that his very legitimate technical support issue is being looked into.