Building cabinets in house (2016 rules)

cornbread

Lifetime Supporting Member
I've read some of the past threads about UL listing or not on panel builds, but the threads were some what dated. So in 2016.. building panel in house for our use seems to be a un-acceptable practice now?

Seems we are going to be forced to use a UL listed panel shop for just about everything?

Am I off base or just out of my mind:cry:

It is still dependent on the Agency Having Jurisdiction in the locale that the panel is used in. If the AHJ requires inspection to UL prior to putting the panel into service then at some point the panel will need to be inspected. The other possibility is an insurance carrier might require UL inspection for underwriting purposes. Even if UL inspection is required you could still build the panel yourself. You will just have to have it inspected prior to putting it into service and you will be on the hook for any required corrections.

I work for a custom machinery manufacturer that supplied machinery largely for the US market. A relatively small percentage of our machines require UL inspected panels because the majority of locales do not require UL inspection prior to putting machines into service...yet.

Keith

The requirement in the US for needing listing by what's called an "NRTL" (Nationally Recognized Testing Lab) is not in the NEC directly, it varies state by state and not all states require it. Most of those that do not are in places where heavy industry is not as prevalent, because (I think) they don't want to put undue burden on farmers and such to get everything listed. What happens is that many states have their own Electrical Codes, but begin with words to the effect of, "The State Code consists of the NEC, with the following added (or deleted) provisions:..." If you are selling into a state that does not have that requirement, you are likely fine without it. But then again even in states that don't do this, individual municipalities or entities may have their own local codes that do.

Nevertheless, even if not required by any local codes, there is another argument for it, that of insurance coverage. In some industries, using unlisted electrical equipment, WHEN A LISTED ALTERNATIVE IS AVAILABLE, will be covered in a rider on the insurance policy that will either cost them extra for the coverage, or void coverage of any damages resulting from the equipment. Basically it boils down to this; if there is a loss, and it is big enough for the insurance company to send out an investigator, and that investigator pinpoints the cause as being a non-listed panel, they can refuse to cover the losses. So what you will find is that many, if not most, large industrial plants will have an internal rule, regardless of local codes, stating that anything that can have an NRTL listing, MUST have an NRTL listing. Remember, UL stands for Underwriters' Laboratories, as in INSURANCE underwriters.

The easier approach to not restrict your potential available market is to use listed assemblies. UL is the most common of the NRTLs, and many of the other alternatives simply use UL's own specifications for construction, but nothing says that you must use UL per se. There is a list maintained by OSHA of all "acceptable" NRTLs for federal government work, and most states will accept any NRTL on that list.

https://www.osha.gov/dts/otpca/nrtl/nrtllist.html

Lastly, if you are an equipment OEM that has to supply a panel on every unit you make and you are already building them yourselves, you may want to consider just getting your own shop listed, it's not that hard or expensive if you can amortize it out across a lot of panels. I did it once for someone (as a consultant) who built about 20 panels per year, it worked out for them because they were ALREADY building their own panels. If you had to create a panel shop from scratch, it might be worth it to just find a good existing panel shop to work with, they are able to amortize that cost over multiple customers and volume.

If you're going to build your own panels and it turns out you need to have them listed, I would get a copy of UL 580A and study it. That said, we have a UL certified panel shop, but very few of our projects are listed. You see it most commonly happen with municipalities and very large companies, the reasons for which vary (insurance, required by the local laws, etc.).

Basically, having a UL listed panel means two things. First, you have up-to-date documentation maintained for the panel. Second, every listed component or component assembly in the panel has been tested to the marked SCCR rating and did not explode.

If you determine your panels have to be UL listed for whatever reason, you can build them yourself. They must be built using listed components (which is different than "Recognized") wherever possible and in accordance with UL 508A and UL 698 if it's in a hazardous classified zone.

We are in a similar situation to FactoryTalktotheHand.

We only do listing on panels that require it. We pretty much build everything to the same standard but the marking and documentation required on a listed panel takes more time.

We have one customer which has all their panels listed because they never know where they will be installed and so there is never a question about it.

If you find you need to do a lot, then look into becoming part of the UL panel shop program:
http://industries.ul.com/blog/become-a-ul-listed-panel-shop?preview_id=27609

If you're going to build your own panels and it turns out you need to have them listed, I would get a copy of UL 580A and study it. That said, we have a UL certified panel shop, but very few of our projects are listed. You see it most commonly happen with municipalities and very large companies, the reasons for which vary (insurance, required by the local laws, etc.).

Basically, having a UL listed panel means two things. First, you have up-to-date documentation maintained for the panel. Second, every listed component or component assembly in the panel has been tested to the marked SCCR rating and did not explode.

If you determine your panels have to be UL listed for whatever reason, you can build them yourself. They must be built using listed components (which is different than "Recognized") wherever possible and in accordance with UL 508A and UL 698 if it's in a hazardous classified zone.

Just to clarify my typo, it is UL 508A