Can't open Studio 5000

RofDenmark

I have a Rockwell VM machine that has worked just fine. In friday, i changed my computer name, to be able to borrow company licenses, but after that i can not open either Studio 5000 or FactoryTalk View anymore... If i try to open an "ACD" file the Studio 5000 loading logo appears, but nothing else happens. After a while, Windows says it has crashed.
If I try to open Studio 5000 and create a new project, it is the same story..

my first guess is to return the licenses, shut off the pc, wait 1 minute and then reboot. then rename the pc back to what is was and see if things work.
the licenses are tied to several things in the pc, mane, mac address, hard drive sn....
james

Run the FactoryTalk Directory Configuration wizard. The FactoryTalk Directory has a "local" directory and a "network" directory. Your computer is identified as a device in these directories and changing your PC name does not change these entries in the directories. Running this utility will resolve that issue.

When it runs, select the local and network checkboxes. Only local is selected by default.

Enter the user name for an admin on the PC. Hopefully you are an admin on your machine. You will be prompted for the login credentials twice. Once for the local directory and once again for the network directory.

When the utility finishes you can close it and reopen Studio 5000. Running this utility doesn't hurt or change anything so it is pretty safe to run without worrying about the effects. As James suggested, it could also be related to your license.

OG

Two reasons I've seen the same thing:

1) Licensing. Check FactoryTalk License Manager first.

2) Right click and choose Run as Administrator.

I'm sure there are other reasons but these are easy things to check.

The fact that you changed the PC's name points to that being the most likely cause. If it were just a licensing issue, the software should at least open with a prompt that it's using a trial license. I've had trouble in the past with changing the name of the PC and having to get into the utility that OG mentioned. I'd probably run that before poking around with the licenses, especially if the licenses are activated on the host PC. Which is what I would strongly recommend you do so you can have more than one VM with different software environments if (when) you need them.